• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour labels Lightroom to bridge and vice versa not working

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using bridge for some time to rate, label and keyword my images.

Am now starting to use light room.

In lightroom have set the colour label to Bridge default and have made sure the text against each label is the same as the text in my bridge preferences. ie in both the green colour is labelled 'For Sale' etc.

If I update the colour label of a file in Bridge should the update flow through to light room and vice versa.

I have updated a label from yellow to green in lightroom,

When I open Bridge my smart collection based on the green tab does not pick up the file i have changed becasue if#t is still shown with a yellow label in bridge.

I have tried the same thing going back the other way.

Chnage form yellow to green in bridge, and in lightroom this is still shown as yellow.

So I end up with the same file rated in the original colour in one application but shown in the updated colour in the other.

Is this normal or do I need to manage my set-up for the chnages to flow through? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Lightroom forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply is for Lightroom-CLASSIC-

For compatibility between Lr & Br, set the Lightroom option as this-

ScreenShot025.jpg

Now for the Color Labels to comply -

If Color Label is set in Bridge:  Read Metadata to the file in Lightroom.

ScreenShot026.jpg

If Color Label is set in Lightroom:  Save Metadata to the file in Lightroom.

ScreenShot028.jpg  [Ctrl+S]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, i had managed the first bit but not the follow up settings.

Sorry but more questions..

both "

Read Metadata to the file in Lightroom" and "Save Metadata to the file in Lightroom" are lightroom options?

Do I have to use Ctl+S evertime i work on an image or just do it once and lightrerom knows I want to do that?

Having some issues as ligtroom says files are locked, but I can't see how to unlock....

Sorry for more daft questions.

Joanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in the catalog settings that you can activate that will then automatically write the changes all the time. That will only happen from that time forward. But you can go to the library module and highlight all images and do a Ctrl/S to catch everything up.

Annotation 2020-04-19 095218.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I would like to get 'straight' -which Version Number of Lightroom are you using?

Go to the Lr MENU: Help > System Info...  and report what you see there please.

(You were moved to the Lightroom-Cloud based forum pages! possibly incorrectly!)

Read Metadata to the file in Lightroom" and "Save Metadata to the file in Lightroom" are lightroom options?

Yes, Lightroom-CLASSIC options. Found under the top 'Metadata' menu.

Do I have to use Ctl+S evertime i work on an image or just do it once and lightrerom knows I want to do that?

Yes, everytime! Except by setting the Lr-Classic Preference [Automatically write changes into XMP]  (as suggested by Jim Hess) the 'Changed' metadata auto-writes only one way Lr>Br. It does not 'Read' metadata Br>Lr. So if you set 'color' in Bridge then you still need to [Read Metadata FROM file] in Lr-Classic.

My suggestion is to eventually make Lightroom-Classic your preferred File DAM  (Digital Asset Manager).

Do all your Color Labeling and Keywording in Lr-Classic. Make the transition- it will save you all these metadata hassles!

Having some issues as lightroom says files are locked, but I can't see how to unlock....

Show us a screen-clip of the error message please. Has the OS marked them as "Read Only"?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.

I am using light room classic - which is where I posted my query intially.1 LR version.JPG

I'm pretty new to LR and strggling to get my head around changing my workflow - just having a few teething problems while I get to grips with it!

Really not sure whythe rad only access thing is kickingoff...

Screen clips as requested:

2 CtrlS.JPG4 not read only.JPG3 error msg.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joannee,

Looking at your screen-clips I am trying to understnd your process.

a) The 'Properties' dialog you show are for some files in your Dropbox folder. (with weird filenames?)

b) The error message for adding metadata shows files with totally different filenames.

So, where are the files that you know about in the Lightroom Catalog?

Do a filter search for one of those filenames  (that you saw in the error message) in the Calalog Library, then [Right-click] and "Go to Folder in Library". This will indicate the 'true' folder where Lr-Classic knows these files are located.

Then you can also "Show in Explorer/Finder" where you can check Read/Write permissions on the 'true' folder location.

ScreenShot015.jpg

In the final analysis- I suspect that the files you are looking at in Bridge are NOT the same files you have in the Lightroom Library. Thus transferring metadata is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the feedback.

I followed the trail as suggested and am definately looking at the right files....

Still very confused

Joanne

2020-04-24 (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can we check a little further- (I love mysteries 🙂 )

Your OS File Explorer is looking at a DROPBOX folder on the D-drive-

ScreenShot005.jpg

In the Lightroom Folder panel can you [Right-Click] on the {020 Photo} topmost folder and select [Show Parent Folder]

If you are indeed looking at the same folder then you should see the {Dropbox} parent folder also appear above {020 Photo} in the Lightroom panel.

ScreenShot006.jpg

I am still not convinced you were looking at the same files.

The error message you posted shows filenames for the JPGs with Spaces. (eg. London 0812020 09381.jpg)

The File Explorer screen-clips show filenames with Underscores. (eg. London_0812020_0916.jpg)

ScreenShot027.jpgScreenShot009.jpg

And note: the error message says the files are "Read Only"! A good reason why you cannot write metadata to the files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines