• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confused about what "Refine Photos" and "Validate DNG Files" commands do

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Library Module, under the Library tab, there are two commands that I don't know what they do. Can someone please tell me what "Refine Photos" and "Validate DNG Files" does please?  

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first topic "Refine Photos"

This is useful for when culling photos from a large shoot.

Flags can be in three states-  Flagged (P), Un-flagged (U), Rejected (X).

So you might-  go through the photos and mark all the wanted photos as [P] Picked/Flagged.

(Note: the 'tilde' key [`] beside numberic [1] will flag Pick as well as the [P]. So with three fingers on [`][1][2] you can pick and star 1 or 2 without moving the left hand. And with Auto-advance on, move through photos faster. )

Now the "Refine" command downgrades the flagged status for all the photos in the Grid-

Flagged photos become Un-flagged,

Un-flagged photos become Rejected.

Now you can select the 'Rejected' images and cull (Delete?).

You can do this process again to really 'narrow down' the photos you really want to keep.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the second topic "Validate DNG"

When DNG files are created (if you use them!) there is a hash number stored in the DNG file.

When you develop a DNG in Lightroom, Lr 'looks at' the DNG files and checks the hash. If even a single bit of the image data has changed (corrupted) it would no longer match the hash and Lightroom can alert you. This Menu command will also check the DNG hash whenever you want to check your DNGs.

So you "Validate" the source image data.

Other file formats cannot be validated in Lr in this manner.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WobertC,

Thanks so much for the information. It really helped out. I appreciate your time and effort.

Kevin K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines