• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Darkened Photos in Develop Module

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos look fine in the Grid module. They are properly exposed and look as they do on my DSLR. But when I select a photo and go into the Develop module, the photo darkens considerably, as if the exposure were off by a stop or two.

After looking for help online, I tried turning off my GPU, and this helped at first, but then the darkening effect continued happening even with the GPU set to Off.

If anyone knows what is going on and how I can fix this, please reply back! Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you are seeing is probably simply the actual camera raw rendering being applied. In library you at first see a jpeg preview generated by the camera. Then in develop, Lightroom shows its own rendering of the raw data using its own engine. For many cameras you can select a camera matching profile (typically called camera default) and get similar rendering. That won't work if you use any of the HDR modes in camera. Nikon calls this dynamic lighting and canon has several names including highlight priority. What those modes do is underexpose your image but the jpeg engine in camera compensates for it and uses a HDR technique to bring back the image. Lightroom doesn't know about this and will render too dark in that case. There is actually now a new way to work with this. You can also use the tricks in this article: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-set-defaults-for-raw-file-import/... if you set the default for your camera to "camera settings" and the feature is available for your camera, Lightroom Classic will try to compensate for these settings and get you a rendring not too far from the in-camera jpeg even if you use the dynamic modes. Not perfect but it works.

If this isn't what is happening, the question becomes: "How are you calibrating your display?" This is often an issue with the monitor profile so calibrating using good calibration hardware would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines