• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Defragment external hard drive

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, does anyone know if my Lightroom catalogue (on my my Mac) will still be able to find the photo's on my external hard drive after defragmentation? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Unless the location of the images is changing or the images are being removed from the drive, Lightroom Classic should still be able to recognise the images. However, we would recommend you to take a back up of the images prior to defragmenting the external hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reaction, this is what i suspected, but i wasn't too sure about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defragmenting shouldn't change the paths/locations of anything, just consolidate the locations of individual hard drive storage blocks in a way that makes them faster and more efficient to read.

Making a backup like the Adobe response advised is always a good idea though, not just for this issue - I've lost hard drives before in such a way that they were corrupted beyond the ability to recover the files on them, so I always worry about a fire/theft/disaster wiping my drives. It's worth it to invest in a good online/cloud storage option (either Adobe's native option or a 3rd party service - lots of working pros seem to swear by Backblaze: https://www.backblaze.com/ )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defragmenting is not necessary on modern operating systems if you use native file systems. You really shouldn't do any defragmenting. There is no benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your suggestions, i decided to use first aid in disk utilities to ckeck if there are any problems. My catalogue is still ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines