Highlighted

Do you have to sync in order to delete local files?

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom CC default amount of storage space filled up immediately, and rather than buy more storage, I opted to keep my originals on my hard drive. Now I want to delete files that have only ever been on my hard drive. I have the sync feature "Paused" because I am out of space in the cloud and I didn't want the background process running and taking up network bandwidth. Now my hard drive is getting full. I went to delete files using the command/option/shift/delete key combination. The program gives me a nice message that says the photo is deleted from the lightroom cc grid view. However, when I look into the hidden file that actually contains all the Lightroom photos, the photo is still there and no space is being created on my hard drive. Do I have to sync in order to delete files that only exist on my hard drive? Please don't tell me that the answer is to go in one by one and delete the files by file number, or that I have to buy more storage in order to succesfully sync all the files just to delete them... HELP! Adobe support chat was useless.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Do you have to sync in order to delete local files?

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom CC default amount of storage space filled up immediately, and rather than buy more storage, I opted to keep my originals on my hard drive. Now I want to delete files that have only ever been on my hard drive. I have the sync feature "Paused" because I am out of space in the cloud and I didn't want the background process running and taking up network bandwidth. Now my hard drive is getting full. I went to delete files using the command/option/shift/delete key combination. The program gives me a nice message that says the photo is deleted from the lightroom cc grid view. However, when I look into the hidden file that actually contains all the Lightroom photos, the photo is still there and no space is being created on my hard drive. Do I have to sync in order to delete files that only exist on my hard drive? Please don't tell me that the answer is to go in one by one and delete the files by file number, or that I have to buy more storage in order to succesfully sync all the files just to delete them... HELP! Adobe support chat was useless.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should clarify that this is Lightroom Creative Cloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume that restarting the Application doesn’t clear it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct- does not clear the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you permantely deleted them from the Trash also? In my test, they have then been deleted from the originals folder (even with sync paused)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They actually never show up in the trash. I delete from the grid view and they remain in the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary folder. Am I using the correct keystroke to delete? Command/Option/Shift/Delete?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of the App are you using Linda? (The current is 2.4)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not at home to check, but I’m certain there were no updates outstanding as I relaunched the program yesterday.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, check when you can.

Here is the Adobe documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/restore-deleted-photos.html#view_deleted_photos

And here is Laura Shoe's guide: https://laurashoe.com/2019/08/13/whats-new-in-cloud-based-lightroom-desktop-mobile-and-web-august-20...

So once they are in the Trash, you can delete them permanently.

Obviously if you do want to keep them make sure they are backed up somewhere though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much! I had searched all over for adobe documentation, but this article did not surface. This worked perfectly, if not intuitively. I'd like to forward a copy of my chat with Adobe on this issue so that they might improve their online support. Do you know where I could send it? Thanks again!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0