• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the LR catalog contain Collections and saved prints metadata ?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As me and my girlfriend spends a lot of time creating collages in the print module, I would like to know if these gets saved in the database, so we don't lose them.

The reason I ask this, is that last time I upgraded LR all the Collections and saved prints we previously made were gone😱 🤥

I now do an export to file whenever we finish a collage, however, we might end up wanting to go back and change something at some point.

Is there anywhere where adobe specifically states what gets backed up in the lrcat database ?

Best regards from Lars 🙏

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

"Collection" would indicate you are using Lightroom-Classic (or v6 & earlier). Answer for Classic-

A collage you create in the Print Module will only be 'saved' if you click on the tab to [Create Saved Print]

Saved Print.jpg

This creates a 'Print' Collection (in the Collection panel)  that uses the Print Template AND the selected images, so that the 'Print' can be recalled in the future should you want a reprint.

COllection.jpg Note: a Print Collection uses the small Printer icon.

A Print Collection is 'dynamic' ie. you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Collection" would indicate you are using Lightroom-Classic (or v6 & earlier). Answer for Classic-

A collage you create in the Print Module will only be 'saved' if you click on the tab to [Create Saved Print]

Saved Print.jpg

This creates a 'Print' Collection (in the Collection panel)  that uses the Print Template AND the selected images, so that the 'Print' can be recalled in the future should you want a reprint.

COllection.jpg Note: a Print Collection uses the small Printer icon.

A Print Collection is 'dynamic' ie. you can add photos to this Collection, and you can [double-click] to re-enter the Print module with the saved print.

Saved Collections only exist in a Catalog, so if you created a new Catalog (when you upgraded) then- No, your Print Collections will not be in the new catalog.

Is there anywhere where adobe specifically states what gets backed up in the lrcat database ?

A Backup of the Catalog IS the .LRCAT database! Including Collections (BUT NOT the physical photo files.)

If you have 'lost' the Print Collections then you may be able to recover them from a previous Backup of the Catalog. See this link for instructions when you would target (select) the Print Collections to restore: RESTORE PARTIAL from backup catalog? 

You can also [Print to a JPG] as a way of preserving a Print job.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick and concise response. I really appreciate it.

A now have saved as a print Collection for all my collages. 
when you mention that a Print Collection is 'dynamic, does that mean that any adjustments done after saving as a print collection will be saved ?

The reason I ask this is that once I have saved as a print collection once, the button is not available anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does that mean that any adjustments done after saving as a print collection will be saved ?

If you 're-open' a Saved Print Collection by-

a)  A Double-Click on the Print Collection name, or

b)  Clicking on the 'arrow' that appears at the end of a Print Collection name,

Then Yes. You are re-opening the Saved Print which allows you to modify it. Any changes you then make will automatically update and 'save' to the Print Collection.

A couple of points-

You can 'Duplicate' (make a copy) of a Print Collection if you do not want to risk changing your 'original print'.

You can also save the Print Layout as a Template Preset (that does not contain photos) and use the Template in future to add any photos.

A Print Collection- saves the Template + the Photos.

A Print Template Preset- saves only the layout in a Template.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again for your easy to follow answers.

this helped me a lot🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines