Highlighted

DUPLICATE FILES, HOW TO CORRECT

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set my files up as this:  I have a main file and withing that file I have 2 sub-files.  The main file (complete) are pictures that I have edited and are complete, that I can show anyone and be proud of.  The first sub-file (in Progress) then are the remaing pictures from that shoot that I have not yet edited.  The final sub-file is (outtakes) pictures that I feel are bad, but can't yet delete.

So what I do after I upload the photo shoot into the main file, I create the sub-file (in Progress) and move all the pictures from the main file to this file.  The numbers now associated to the 2 files is the main file says 0 and the sub file shows the total number of photos in that shoot.  As I edit the pictures I move them from the sub-file to the main file.  The numbers then change, with the main file showing the number of pictures in it that I edited and moved to it and the sub file showing a lesser number since those were moved out of that file.

I did something wrong with some of my files and both the main file and the sub file have the same photos in it.  They both show the same number of pictures in each file.  My question is how do I correct this?  Can I delete the pictures in the main file?  I think yes since all the pictures are in the sub file which is where I want them to be and then as I edit them I move them to the main file.  

I also think I should have to do this with my external hard drive connected so everything there becomes in sinc with lightroom.  I say this cause I took a class with Ben Willmore and he expressed any changes made should be from lightroom with your external hard drive connected.  Not to change around files on your external hard drive cause lightroom won't reconize the moves.

Any and all help is much appreciated.  I'm not sure how to word this to even go to you tube to find an answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

DUPLICATE FILES, HOW TO CORRECT

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set my files up as this:  I have a main file and withing that file I have 2 sub-files.  The main file (complete) are pictures that I have edited and are complete, that I can show anyone and be proud of.  The first sub-file (in Progress) then are the remaing pictures from that shoot that I have not yet edited.  The final sub-file is (outtakes) pictures that I feel are bad, but can't yet delete.

So what I do after I upload the photo shoot into the main file, I create the sub-file (in Progress) and move all the pictures from the main file to this file.  The numbers now associated to the 2 files is the main file says 0 and the sub file shows the total number of photos in that shoot.  As I edit the pictures I move them from the sub-file to the main file.  The numbers then change, with the main file showing the number of pictures in it that I edited and moved to it and the sub file showing a lesser number since those were moved out of that file.

I did something wrong with some of my files and both the main file and the sub file have the same photos in it.  They both show the same number of pictures in each file.  My question is how do I correct this?  Can I delete the pictures in the main file?  I think yes since all the pictures are in the sub file which is where I want them to be and then as I edit them I move them to the main file.  

I also think I should have to do this with my external hard drive connected so everything there becomes in sinc with lightroom.  I say this cause I took a class with Ben Willmore and he expressed any changes made should be from lightroom with your external hard drive connected.  Not to change around files on your external hard drive cause lightroom won't reconize the moves.

Any and all help is much appreciated.  I'm not sure how to word this to even go to you tube to find an answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you are talking about 'files', but from the context I conclude you mean folders. I also conclude that it sounds like you are using Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom. Folders do exist in Lightroom too, but they are 'album sets' and that doesn't seem what you are talking about.

In Lightroom Classic there is a menu 'Library - Show Photos in Subfolders'. That will make Lightroom show the photo count of all the photos, including photos in subfolders. Perhaps you checked this by mistake? 

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, right you are. Thank you. Glad this was such an easy fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2019 0