Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop - Filesize

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

Lightroom CC has the option to send my raw Photos over to Photoshop and edit them further. After closing this document it automatically imports everything as .tif file back to lightroom. 

Can someone explain to me, why this file gets so large? Even small edits (<10 layers) will blow this file up to over a gigabyte. Just opening a file in photoshop and saving it without ANY changes generates a 300mb+ file. 

The source raw dng image has around 25mb... How is that possible? 

Also I noticed, that my Desktop Lightroom CC randomly starts uploading the Original DNG File to the cloud again. Telling me the cloud version only holds a smart preview version. That's not true, though...

1. I downloaded the original from the cloud in the first place.

2. Doublechecking on android and iOS confirms an "Original DNG" in the cloud... 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My 'simple' understanding:

RAW > RGB (TIF)

[RAW Mega-Pixels] x [3  RGB channels ] x [16bits / 8bits] x [Number of pixel layers in Ps] + [Adjustment layers].

And you might start to get the picture.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines