• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enhance details not working (preview is same as unenhanced)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have;

CR2 file from 5D mk iii (which has been edited within LR)

Lightroom Classic 10.2 and Camera Raw 13.2

Windows 10, version 20H2

A 2k BenQ monitor

Yet, when I try to Enhance Details, the preview of the enhanced image is the same as the not-yet-enhanced image, and, when I click 'Enhance' the resulting duplicate file image is the same res as before, same file size.

Do I need to run a particular program to allow Win10 to apply such wizzardry?

Any and all tips appreciated!
Thanks, Andrew

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

The enhanced details feature in Lightroom Classic is not the new super enhanced feature that everyone has been talking about lately. It is the old feature that has been around for a while. Like many other users, you have found that it doesn't render much improvement. In order to use the new super enhanced feature, it's necessary to actually use Camera Raw 13.2 and not try to do it from Lightroom Classic. Yes, Lightroom Classic is compatible with that version of Camera Raw, but the technology is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The enhanced details feature in Lightroom Classic is not the new super enhanced feature that everyone has been talking about lately. It is the old feature that has been around for a while. Like many other users, you have found that it doesn't render much improvement. In order to use the new super enhanced feature, it's necessary to actually use Camera Raw 13.2 and not try to do it from Lightroom Classic. Yes, Lightroom Classic is compatible with that version of Camera Raw, but the technology is built in to the Lightroom program and the super enhanced DNG option has not been implemented in LrC at this time. When/if that happens is not known. After the super enhanced DNG file has been created using Camera Raw, that DNG file can be opened in the latest version of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riiiightio, thanks Jim. Makes sense now.

(I was a bit confused by the UX, it mentioned applying machine learning, so I thought it was the whizzy new Super Enhance Details).

Am v.keen for the Super Enhance! Aren't we all I guess.

Could you kidly point me towards the worklow for beginning/re-directing the Enhance Details process over to Camera Raw?
Thanks again, A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if it's a good workflow. But my plan is to do my initial editing in LrC. Then I choose the option export as original to the desktop. That raw file is then opened in Camera Raw and run through the super resolution process, resulting in the creation of the DNG file. I choose to export that into LrC and do the rest of the editing using LrC.

Actually, I export the raw file to a folder on my choosing, not really the desktop. It's a folder where I'm experimenting with the super resolution images. After I have created the DNG file all I have to do is synchronize that folder, and the DNG file is included in the folder.

There are various ways to manage your files and folders. I have chosen to create a separate catalog for experimenting with these super resolution images, so it's easy to just keep track of them. I don't have any expensive lenses that are calibrated specifically to my camera. So I don't believe I am realizing the full benefit of this feature. But the process works relatively smoothly. There really isn't any right or wrong way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines