Highlighted

Enthusiast Photography workflow and photo management suggestions

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a professional, but around 2014 I bought my first "real" camera, an Olympus EPL-1 m4/3. Over the years I upgraded bodies and lenses and accumulated close to 20k pictures. I don't remember when I started using Lightroom, but have used "Classic" version for at least 5-6 years. I now have 2 small kids and just don't have the time I used to shoot, import, edit, export....etc. It got to where I barely touched my camera and almost always used my Pixel because it took great photos for about 80% of the scenarios I was using for and I didn't have to spend so much time post processing. The JPG's that come out of it for day to day photos are usually pretty good and Google Photos is quick and easy for on phone edits. I still have 2k raw photos on my HDD waiting to be edited going back to 2 years ago and hence why I almost shudder picking up my camera.

So I looked at Lightroom Mobile and what's now Lightroom over a year ago and hated it, stuck with Classic but I gave it another try this past week and it does about 98% of what I need and has the advantage of tying in my Pixel to my workflow. I have spent the past week migrating from classic over to Lightroom and so far liking it. I thought I was going to import all my Pixel pics to Lightroom Mobile and edit there, but I quickly realized it was a bit of a sync nightmare because as stated above, I also use Google Photos to back up phone and share pics with friends and family. I also found LR Mobile a bit overkill as most my phone pics I don't or minimally edit. I also have a lot of quick snapshots to send in a text that ultimately will get deleted from my phone. So I think I am staying with my old strategy of leaving Lightroom for all my camera edits and use it to manage my DNG/Raw Library and then export edited shots to JPG to a folder that Google Photos monitors. Any JPG's I get externally (shared vacation photos, purchased photos from a vendor...etc) I do not import in to Lightroom because typically I don't edit them and I find it clutters things up. Currently on my home desktop, I have folders setup by year and month that hold all my exported JPG's and JPG's from other sources that Google Photos monitors and backs up. Then I have the Lightroom folder created by LR that it downloads to so that I have a local copy of my cloud storage. I primarily use Google Photos to make albums and share from. I do only upload in "High Quality" so if it's an important event that someone wants originals for, I zip them up and share via Google Drive.

With all that said, I was just curious if anyone is in a similar situation and wants to share how they manage photos from a camera  and smartphone. I really wanted to go all in on the LR cloud option and have all my photos managed by one service/application but I am afraid having every photo I take on my smarthphone and all my other JPG's in my LR library is going to add a lot of unneeded noise to an already large library. So for the time being, LR will manage all my DNG/Raw photos but now I  at least have the advantage of being able to edit on any device and then let Google Photos be my "master" library with every JPEG I have exported or been given and deemed worth keeping. 

TOPICS
How to, Import and share, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Enthusiast Photography workflow and photo management suggestions

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a professional, but around 2014 I bought my first "real" camera, an Olympus EPL-1 m4/3. Over the years I upgraded bodies and lenses and accumulated close to 20k pictures. I don't remember when I started using Lightroom, but have used "Classic" version for at least 5-6 years. I now have 2 small kids and just don't have the time I used to shoot, import, edit, export....etc. It got to where I barely touched my camera and almost always used my Pixel because it took great photos for about 80% of the scenarios I was using for and I didn't have to spend so much time post processing. The JPG's that come out of it for day to day photos are usually pretty good and Google Photos is quick and easy for on phone edits. I still have 2k raw photos on my HDD waiting to be edited going back to 2 years ago and hence why I almost shudder picking up my camera.

So I looked at Lightroom Mobile and what's now Lightroom over a year ago and hated it, stuck with Classic but I gave it another try this past week and it does about 98% of what I need and has the advantage of tying in my Pixel to my workflow. I have spent the past week migrating from classic over to Lightroom and so far liking it. I thought I was going to import all my Pixel pics to Lightroom Mobile and edit there, but I quickly realized it was a bit of a sync nightmare because as stated above, I also use Google Photos to back up phone and share pics with friends and family. I also found LR Mobile a bit overkill as most my phone pics I don't or minimally edit. I also have a lot of quick snapshots to send in a text that ultimately will get deleted from my phone. So I think I am staying with my old strategy of leaving Lightroom for all my camera edits and use it to manage my DNG/Raw Library and then export edited shots to JPG to a folder that Google Photos monitors. Any JPG's I get externally (shared vacation photos, purchased photos from a vendor...etc) I do not import in to Lightroom because typically I don't edit them and I find it clutters things up. Currently on my home desktop, I have folders setup by year and month that hold all my exported JPG's and JPG's from other sources that Google Photos monitors and backs up. Then I have the Lightroom folder created by LR that it downloads to so that I have a local copy of my cloud storage. I primarily use Google Photos to make albums and share from. I do only upload in "High Quality" so if it's an important event that someone wants originals for, I zip them up and share via Google Drive.

With all that said, I was just curious if anyone is in a similar situation and wants to share how they manage photos from a camera  and smartphone. I really wanted to go all in on the LR cloud option and have all my photos managed by one service/application but I am afraid having every photo I take on my smarthphone and all my other JPG's in my LR library is going to add a lot of unneeded noise to an already large library. So for the time being, LR will manage all my DNG/Raw photos but now I  at least have the advantage of being able to edit on any device and then let Google Photos be my "master" library with every JPEG I have exported or been given and deemed worth keeping. 

TOPICS
How to, Import and share, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think if you have worked out a workflow that suits your needs that’s fine. On my phone I tend to use the camera built into the Lightroom app either in Pro mode or HDR mode. That creates a DNG which is automatically uploaded to the cloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could use the LR camera but then I lose  all the Google magic if I shoot outside the regular camera app and for some reason HDR mode on Pixel 4 isn't supported in LR.

Thanks for sharing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0