• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excessive access to the hard disk after closing Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! After closing, Lightroom Classic accesses my hard drive excessively for around 6 minutes, so that it is not possible to continue working. The hard disk is used 100%. It is the hard disk with the photos, the catalog is on another hard disk (ssd). I have 110.000 photos in the catalog.

Does any of you know what Lightroom is doing? Something like this should only happen if you optimize the catalog, which I only do once a week.

It seems that Lightroom wants to kill my hard disk.

best regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your catalog located in a folder that is managed by an online sync service such as OneDrive or DropBox? I have noticed therrible thrashing with the Lightroom preview cache in this kind of situation, as Lightroom tries to finish writing thousands of preview files while OneDrive or DropBox is trying to sync. I used to have my catalog on Dropbox as a convenient way to back it up and share between computers, but the disk thrashing became to heavy in recent years, and I've moved my catalog out of a synced location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but the folder of the catalog and the folder of the photos should be not influenced by an online sync service. I have also noticed that after a number of very roughly 30 photos edited, hard disk work begins for a few minutes. Could have something to do with paging data due to insufficient RAM. I have only 8GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael! It looks like I was able to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know which measure has actually led to success. 🙂 I uninstalled Dropbox's automatic synchronization, although it did not affect the photo folder. I also increased the free hard drive space on the SSD from 10Gb to 40 GB. Now Lightroom runs significantly more smoothly and working on the hard drive for minutes after closing Lightroom is gone. Maybe 10GB free space on the hard disk is not enough for Lightroom if the pc has 8GB RAM only. Thanks. Greetings Siegi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines