• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export lightroom catalogs from PC to Mac?

Explorer ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can a catalog created in Lightroom CC classic on a PC be exported to Lightroom CC on a Mac?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

A few things to consider.

Only one catalog can sync at a time in Lightroom Classic CC. If you build your new catalog in Lightroom Classic CC, your old catalog will no longer sync.

Lightroom CC can only have one catalog per Adobe ID.

Things built in Lightroom CC will sync originals back to Lightroom Classic CC but will consume your 100 GB

Things built in Lightroom Classic and synced to Lightroom CC will sync Smart Previews and will not count against your 100 GB Limit.

In a CC/Classic workflow, you wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalogs in the Lightroom CC world sync between computers - unlike the Lightroom Classic CC product which requires more elaborate mechanisms.

Simply:

1. Build you catalog on which ever platform you wish.

2. Sync to the Creative Cloud

3. Open Lightroom CC on the second computer, log in with your same Adobe ID and the catalog syncs down from the cloud.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have rephrased my question because my PC is running Lightroom CC Classic, while my Mac has Lightroom CC. I've not synched my Lightroom catalogs on my PC with the cloud because they are massive (eg 35000 in my whale catalog) and wasn't sure if the catalog would fit in the 100 GB of free space, nor did I necessarily want to pay a fee.

My Lightroom CC on Mac is registered to the same email address as my PC catalog. I'm going to set up a new catalog just for my bottlenose dolphin ID photos and will synch it from my desktop and see if that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to consider.

Only one catalog can sync at a time in Lightroom Classic CC. If you build your new catalog in Lightroom Classic CC, your old catalog will no longer sync.

Lightroom CC can only have one catalog per Adobe ID.

Things built in Lightroom CC will sync originals back to Lightroom Classic CC but will consume your 100 GB

Things built in Lightroom Classic and synced to Lightroom CC will sync Smart Previews and will not count against your 100 GB Limit.

In a CC/Classic workflow, you will likely have to sacrifice something in order to achieve sync.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I've been using Lightroom since version1 ages ago, and when it switched to CC, I've never opted to synch, so i don't mind if the new catalog sync, since that's one the some colleagues and I will be working on. So, this new catalog will be built in the Desktop classic version and I'll give it a try.  I'll keep you all posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating a new catalog or sub-catalog in LR Classic you can migrate it into LR CC.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-cc/using/migrate-to-lightroom-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a dilemma, my home desktop Lightroom CC Classic (windows) is registered to me via one account (under my email at the college in which I a full professor of science); my Lightroom CC, on my MacPro is registered and paid for under my NGO email. So synching my desktop catalog to CC wouldn't necessarily allow me to access it via my laptop and cloud-based Lightroom.

I can purchase a copy of Lightroom CC under my NGO for my desktop, but can Lightroom CC Classic and Lightroom CC coexist on the same computer and function well? I've got decades of work and over 35000 images invested in each of the main Lightroom catalogs (one for my seal photo-ID work and one for my cetacean (whales, dolphins, porpoises) on my desktop and don't want to jeopardize their functionality.  While I know that CC and CC classic will set up different catalog files, will having both on  one computer cause problems?

One other question: I have a volunteering willing to help in my bottlenose dolphin photo-ID work, she has Lightroom on a Mac, can a catalog built in CC be shared across different users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only problem I’ve encountered running both apps on the same machine is some corruption of photo captions (metadata) and keywords are not meant to sync between Classic and LRCC.

There is no way to share catalogs between multiple users without sharing a single Adobe ID. I think this sometimes happens in the family between husband & wife but generally it’s not a great idea as you would also be sharing your personal and financial (payment) information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom Migration Question going from a Win 7 Computer to a Win 10 Computer- Dazed and Confused, Help!

It appears the Lightroom has gone through a paradigm shift from desktop to cloud/browser based editing and cataloging. My lack of

understanding of this, I think, is adding to my problems. I need some guidance on what to do.

I have a large Lightroom Catalog with the source files on a Win 7 Computer (which I thought ran Lightroom CC not CC Classic). In the

help window it says Lightroom CC 2015.8 Rel Camera Raw 9.8. Is that Lightoom CC or Lightroom CC Classic???   The source

files (photos) are on the hard drive of this Win 7 Computer. I want to move everything to a Win 10 Computer. I copied all my source files

to a folder on OneDrive called Lightroom (it took days). I got my Lightroom Catalog file to point to all the files on OneDrive. I got the

LCRAT file saved to a thumb drive. And I've been able to open Lightroom (on the Win7 computer) with this LCRAT file on the thumb drive. Ok, now I thought I was ready to install Lightroom CC on my new computer, copy the LCRAT file to where I want the working Catalog and bingo, I'd bein business. No, not quite.

I tried updating the Lightroom CC on the Win7. Now I notice that it opens from the Creative Cloud window in a browser with a minor

set of my photos that I have no idea where they came from. Curiously, this is exactly what I see (same set of photos) on my Win10 computer when I open Lightroom (it looks like it's inside Lightroom. But there is no Library with all the photos in Folders by date, and no Collectionsor Sets of Photos. I tried migrating my LCRAT file (on the thumb drive) from my Win7 machine. Here's what I get ********** ERROR CODE AND COUNT ***********EXPORTED_OR_COPIED_CATALOG : 1 Really? Support FAQs tell me to re-try the file in LIghtroom CC Classic, that does nothing. It works there,I get the same error when I open it back to the new Win 10 Lightroom.

What do I do? Import all my photos from OneDrive into the new Lightroom CC Window?? Is this going to bring them all onto the hard drive of my new Win10 computer, or is this just going to have a "virtual hook" pointing to the photos on OneDrive? I have ~90GB of photos, so Idon't want them clogging up the local hard drive.

Or is there a way to get my old LCRAT file to work? Do I need to go from Lightroom CC Classic to Lightroom CC on the Win 7 machine first?

Thanks.

Alex Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines