Highlighted

Exporting 60k photos from Lightroom CC painfully slow. Any tips?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving about 60k photos from Lightroom CC to Apple Photos and the slow speed is killing me. At first I was able to export a couple thousand photos at a time by leaving the computer running overnight, but lately it's been freezing up if I do large quantities.

So now I am exporting about 500 photos at a time, which takes roughly 20 min or so. I have about 45k photos left so I'm going to be dead before this is done.

I'm on a Macbook Air with 8GB RAM and I'm exporting to an SD card with 80GB free. I've also tried exporting to my internal SSD hard drive but I ran into space issues, maybe because of the cache LR has to create when it renders photos.

Here are my export settings: JPG, full size, 80% quality. File naming original, no sharpening, sRGB color space. All metadata. I think it would be faster if I export originals but then I am exporting unedited photos - I want keywords and photo edits.

I tried downloading a trial of Lightroom Classic (which I haven't used in a couple years) to see if I could open my LR CC catalog hoping exports would be faster using that app, but I couldn't open the CC catalog with Classic. There's probably an official way to migrate from CC to Classic. Is that worth pursuing for faster exports?

I don't even know what's slowing this down... is it the software rendering, my machine's speed or RAM, limited hard drive space?

Any ideas on how to expedite this? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting 60k photos from Lightroom CC painfully slow. Any tips?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving about 60k photos from Lightroom CC to Apple Photos and the slow speed is killing me. At first I was able to export a couple thousand photos at a time by leaving the computer running overnight, but lately it's been freezing up if I do large quantities.

So now I am exporting about 500 photos at a time, which takes roughly 20 min or so. I have about 45k photos left so I'm going to be dead before this is done.

I'm on a Macbook Air with 8GB RAM and I'm exporting to an SD card with 80GB free. I've also tried exporting to my internal SSD hard drive but I ran into space issues, maybe because of the cache LR has to create when it renders photos.

Here are my export settings: JPG, full size, 80% quality. File naming original, no sharpening, sRGB color space. All metadata. I think it would be faster if I export originals but then I am exporting unedited photos - I want keywords and photo edits.

I tried downloading a trial of Lightroom Classic (which I haven't used in a couple years) to see if I could open my LR CC catalog hoping exports would be faster using that app, but I couldn't open the CC catalog with Classic. There's probably an official way to migrate from CC to Classic. Is that worth pursuing for faster exports?

I don't even know what's slowing this down... is it the software rendering, my machine's speed or RAM, limited hard drive space?

Any ideas on how to expedite this? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 20, 2020 0

Have something to add?