Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from LR mobile, file size smaller

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Got an Issue with LR CC mobile, when I export from the iPad at maximum file size, the image file size is smaller than when exporting the same image file to the same location or different from LR CC desktop.

So the same file exported from LR mobile is 9.2Mb, from the desktop its 16.9Mb.

Any idea why? Is this a limitation of iOS?

Cheers for any info,

Tim.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find that the iOS version of LRCC will export at a quality setting of around 80 (more than good enough for most uses), whereas the desktop version of LRCC exports at a quality setting of around 90 (more than good enough for almost all uses). It would be better if the user had some control over the export settings such as in LR Classic, but until we do I don't have any particular problem with the way exports work in those apps,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's like saying, I'm going to turn down the quailty of my camera, cause you can't tell the difference.

You wouldn't, so if I've shot in raw and want to export at full jpeg quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I'm saying is that if you do want to export at "full jpeg quality", you can't do it using either LRCC desktop or LRCC iOS. You'd need to either use LR Classic or Photoshop, or switch to some other image editor. Personally, I don't print so for digital viewing purposes exporting at full jpeg quality is likely just a waste of disk space, so I'm more likely to use quality setting around 80 even when using LR Classic.

You might find this article interesting: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no I hear you, but no where is this said, and no options given with the software. I'll go through the options and workflow again...

Cheers for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a quite popular feature request covering this issue at the official Adobe feedback site, probably worth a visit to add your vote: Lightroom CC: Additional options needed when exporting | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best quality is to save the image as a tiff. Right now Lightroom CC doesn’t offer that option. If you are on a desktop you can open it in Photoshop and save as a tiff. Eventually I’m pretty sure you will be able to do this with Photoshop on an iPad whenever the app becomes available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I’m having the same (ish) issue. I’m trying to use my iPad Pro (3rd gen). I’m using a very large image size (50 megapixel) and making adjustments. I then select export maximum size which should be 8688 x 5792 (depending if I cropped or not) but the image I get is 2560 x 1707.

I’m hoping someone can answer this ..   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's almost certainly a different issue. A long edge pixel dimension of 2560 means the "original" image is probably only a smart preview, which is what you get in the cloud if you sync images from LR Classic (Classic cannot upload the full originals, only smart previews). If you want to export full resolution files from LRCC on your iPad, you need to have the full resolution file in the cloud, which you can only get if you import the image into any of the LRCC client apps.

I suppose it might be possible to achieve the same effect even if the full resolution file IS stored in the cloud, but only if a smart preview is stored locally on the iPad and at the time of doing the export you have no internet connection (so the full resolution file cannot be downloaded to complete the export). I haven't tested that scenario, so I don't know if that is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith, I’m guessing that the original image is in Lightroom Classic and you synced a collection to Lightroom CC. As Jim explained this is a smart preview, and it is much smaller than the original. You can confirm what kind of file it is by selecting the image and then tapping on the cloud icon in the upper right. This is a screen capture from my iPad of an image that is in Lightroom Classic, synced to Lightroom CC as a smart preview.

C1B51C8A-4E49-4558-84DE-305B9C17B4AD.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue. Even when I upload raw files from my card on to my ipad which should be around 6k resolution, the best I am getting out of export is 4k resolution and much smaller files. I cannot find a setting anywhere to adjust the size of the exported photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines