Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting in original format loses all edits

Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited a bunch of HEIC photos (basically, photos I took with my iPhone), and when I export using "original" format, all the changes are lost. The exported image is identical to the original one.

I've  some very obvious tests (like trimming 75% of a photo), and it's reproducible every time. Looks very much like a bug, but it's a bug that leaves my edited photos locked in Lightroom (unless I export as jpeg).

Anyone else having this issue, or is it just me?

Edit: I'm using the iPad version of Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original means the un-edited original. So what is happening is as expected. You need to export in another format e.g. jpeg to make a copy with your edit settings. Try sharing to camera roll or files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't really make much sense. I picked "format: original". I'd assume that keeps the original format, not the original copy.

How do I export my edited photo in the original file format then (HEIC)? I hate exporting to JPEG and keeping JPEGs around, given that it's such a ???? format for actual storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting in original format actually does include all the edits, however, they are in the xmp metadata in the file. Only Adobe software can read and apply these edits. Original format means that the pixels in the file do not get touched. It copies the file over and embeds the Lightroom edits in xmp code into the file. This is as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and Lightroom Classic cannot export HEIC files as rendered images. This is similar to raw files. Also realize that exported files are not meant to keep around. You simply use them toi upload to a website, email to clients, etc. and then delete them from your hard drive as the originals are still inside Lightroom Classic and can be rendered to another file at any time. No need to keep exported files around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I dislike the idea of keeping the "source" files only in lightroom, since if I ever cancel my subscription, I lose access to them.

It also means I can only access these files from lightroom, and can't open them outside my iPad (eg: in my PC).

Other software (eg; snapseed) seem to keep history of edits AND update the raw HEIC image.

Are there any workarounds here? JPEG is a pretty ???? format, I'd rather keep my photos with the least data loss possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you lose your subscription, Classic will still run and export images. Just the Develop module will not work. Jpegs are just fine. HEIC is only modestly better than jpeg. If you want no loss, the only way is to export as original but then you can only see the edits in Adobe software. Exporting to HEIC like other software does always leads to data loss. That is unavoidable due to the fact that HEIC, like jpeg, is a lossy format. It is slightly more efficient at its compression. Other second best alternative is to use tiff files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what classic is, nor what develop is, but in not using any of those apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, my fault. I did not read your post carefully and thought you were using Lightroom Classic on a desktop computer. I now see you are working on an iPad. Still on an iPad, you can only use jpeg or tiff if you want the edits baked in. Adobe hasn't added the feature to export to HEIC. The format is not very well supported yet except by Apple devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines