Highlighted

Exporting photos doubles the amount of used cloud storage

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched my plan from Lightroom CC to full Creative Cloud suite. That dropped my cloud storage from 1 TB to 100 GB. I had used about 75 GB of storage for my Lightroom photos so that wouldn't immediately be a problem.

However, I thought it would be wise to make backups of the photos just in case something would go wrong when switching plans. I exported all the photos to an external drive as originals. Everything went well so far.

The surprising problem was that this export operation doubled the usage of my cloud storage from ~75 GB to ~150 GB. Now, this isn't problematic immediately, since I have a soon-expiring Adobe Rush subscription that grants me another 100 GB of cloud storage. But soon, it will be a problem. I don't really need 200 GB of cloud storage and was planning on deleting quite a few photos to reduce the used storage from the original 75 GB. This cleanup effort obviously got a lot harder when the used space was doubled.

Is there any way to remedy this issue? What could have caused the doubling of used storage?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting photos doubles the amount of used cloud storage

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched my plan from Lightroom CC to full Creative Cloud suite. That dropped my cloud storage from 1 TB to 100 GB. I had used about 75 GB of storage for my Lightroom photos so that wouldn't immediately be a problem.

However, I thought it would be wise to make backups of the photos just in case something would go wrong when switching plans. I exported all the photos to an external drive as originals. Everything went well so far.

The surprising problem was that this export operation doubled the usage of my cloud storage from ~75 GB to ~150 GB. Now, this isn't problematic immediately, since I have a soon-expiring Adobe Rush subscription that grants me another 100 GB of cloud storage. But soon, it will be a problem. I don't really need 200 GB of cloud storage and was planning on deleting quite a few photos to reduce the used storage from the original 75 GB. This cleanup effort obviously got a lot harder when the used space was doubled.

Is there any way to remedy this issue? What could have caused the doubling of used storage?

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you export the photos to? Did you perhaps (also) export the photos to the folder called 'Creative Cloud Files'? That is a Dropbox-like folder that is synced to the cloud: it uses the same 100GB cloud space, so if you did use that folder then what you see is as expected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I exported the photos to an external (network) drive. I also checked Creative Cloud files and I haven't accidentally exported photos there either. There are only some ~200 MB of files there.

The exported file size is also ~150 GB even though pre-export the used cloud storage stood at ~75 GB, as mentioned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0