Highlighted

Files lost on import.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to a crashed harddrive I use an external drive to run the operating system until my new internal drive arrives. That only leave me one other USB port. I plug in my memory card (XQD), download the images to the hard drive with the operating system. Then I plug in my external hard drive that has my Lightroom catalog and files, start Lightroom and import the files from the other external drive. This always works fine although annoying.

This last time Lightroom asked me to open up some space on the Lightroom external drive while I was importing the images. While the message was still on the screen I cleaned up some files to get the space requested. When I clicked off that message screen Lightroom did not respond for a while - meaning the imports did not continue. I waited about five minutes and nothing seemed to be moving so I clicked on the X at the top of the screen to stop the import. About 35 images were imported before the message came up asking me to make more space.

After I went back to import new images the images can no longer be found. My Lightroom catalog does show the 35 images that were imported prior to the message asking for more space. 

None of the other images can be found. All of the images (total about 500) are gone from the folder where I copied them to from the XQD card and they do not show up anywhere in Lightroom or on the external drive where the files are imported to.

Of course I was in a hurry and doing a few things at a time. So to save time I formatted the XQD card in my Nikon Z6 thinking I was safe since they were already copied to the hard drive. Not safe this time!

So basically the images disappeared from both the place I was importing from and to after I clicked on the X to stop the import.

Does anyone have any ideas where the files might have gone? I use a MacBook Pro for my computer.

Topics

Import and share, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Files lost on import.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to a crashed harddrive I use an external drive to run the operating system until my new internal drive arrives. That only leave me one other USB port. I plug in my memory card (XQD), download the images to the hard drive with the operating system. Then I plug in my external hard drive that has my Lightroom catalog and files, start Lightroom and import the files from the other external drive. This always works fine although annoying.

This last time Lightroom asked me to open up some space on the Lightroom external drive while I was importing the images. While the message was still on the screen I cleaned up some files to get the space requested. When I clicked off that message screen Lightroom did not respond for a while - meaning the imports did not continue. I waited about five minutes and nothing seemed to be moving so I clicked on the X at the top of the screen to stop the import. About 35 images were imported before the message came up asking me to make more space.

After I went back to import new images the images can no longer be found. My Lightroom catalog does show the 35 images that were imported prior to the message asking for more space. 

None of the other images can be found. All of the images (total about 500) are gone from the folder where I copied them to from the XQD card and they do not show up anywhere in Lightroom or on the external drive where the files are imported to.

Of course I was in a hurry and doing a few things at a time. So to save time I formatted the XQD card in my Nikon Z6 thinking I was safe since they were already copied to the hard drive. Not safe this time!

So basically the images disappeared from both the place I was importing from and to after I clicked on the X to stop the import.

Does anyone have any ideas where the files might have gone? I use a MacBook Pro for my computer.

Topics

Import and share, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jao_vdL LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are probably lost if you already reformatted the XQD card unfortunately. Not sure where else they could be. You probably are referring to Lightroom Classic right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines