Folder Sync Issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I originally had all my photos in a subfolder like so

D:/Photos/

Later to help with copying files to backblaze i decided that i wanted to move everything out of the subfolder into the root

so now it is as follows

D:\2012

etc, I moved everything IN lightroom so nothing in explorer for example 

However when i click on syncronise folder, Lightroom thinks there is 21355 photos to import, but there are only 17720 to begin with, on top of that when i follow the synchronise button, it scans yet finds nothing but i cant get it to realise nothing has changed other than the folders have moved to the root?

When i load lightroom now, it takes around 1 minute to load and i think its related to this issue.

Any ideas how i can fix this without deleting the catlogue and rebuilding all the previews etc

Thanks 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Folder Sync Issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I originally had all my photos in a subfolder like so

D:/Photos/

Later to help with copying files to backblaze i decided that i wanted to move everything out of the subfolder into the root

so now it is as follows

D:\2012

etc, I moved everything IN lightroom so nothing in explorer for example 

However when i click on syncronise folder, Lightroom thinks there is 21355 photos to import, but there are only 17720 to begin with, on top of that when i follow the synchronise button, it scans yet finds nothing but i cant get it to realise nothing has changed other than the folders have moved to the root?

When i load lightroom now, it takes around 1 minute to load and i think its related to this issue.

Any ideas how i can fix this without deleting the catlogue and rebuilding all the previews etc

Thanks 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom-Classic I presume!

"Synchronize" is the wrong thing to do.

Folders moved "IN Lightroom" are simply, moved. Nothing more is needed! I see the YEAR folders under D-drive in your screen-clip and nothing is marked as 'missing' (no ? on folders) - so no need to synchronize or Import anything.

For 21355 photos to show- are there other photos on this D-drive that have never been imported to the Lightroom Catalog?

(Synchronize folders is often mis-leading when showing file numbers)

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response
No there are no folders or files that have not been imported with light room.
I can't figure out why light room thinks there is more and why it's taking so long on startup.
I have my catalogue stored on an ssd along with the cache set to 40gig.

The folders themselves are stored as you can see on on a internal HHD that are on a seperate drive (D)

Lightroom on the C drive as standard

The catalogue is on an SSD along with the cached previews.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really have no answer why you see the 21355 number!

'Synchronize Folders' is designed as a method to look for 'new' files added to existing folders already imported in the Catalog. It should not be used to Import Folders that are not in the Cataolog- [Import by 'Add' ] is the correct method for this.

(The only time I ever use 'Synchronize Folders' is if I have created a new file in Photoshop that was 'Saved As' in an existing folder.)

So my recommendation is - Use the [Import] dialog.

For the slow loading catalog-

You can test Integrity if you Start Lr while holding down [Ctrl] key;

ScreenShot105.jpg

Or, when you Close and Backup your catalog- check the two options-

ScreenShot106.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0