• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Assign People tags to pictures that were missed

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the indexing has been completed and Lightroom CC has found all the potential faces, it would be nice to have the ability to add People Tags to pictures that were "missed" where no faces were recognized.  The idea of People Tags is to be able to search for people and generate all potential results.  Right now it's messy because you have to resort to keyword tags to identify people that were missed with facial recognition and makes searching and cataloging a tedious task.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Just to wade in here to support Rikk and Victoria -- I am a Product Manager on the Lightroom team.  We work with Rikk to review this forum including feature requests.  We definitely hear you that we can make improvements both in the face detection tech as well as supporting manual face selection.  We do use the feedback and votes to help determine our priorities, so please know that you are being listened to.  

Additionally, I guess when we migrated forum data, we ended up marking some feature

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 175 Replies 175
175 Comments
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose you mean 'vote'

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"improved recognition" is frankly not an acceptable solution.  No matter how improved it gets it will not be able to handle a situation where face are obscured.  Such as wearing a ski mask on top of a mountain, or facing away from the camera.  While improvements to prevent misidentification or lack of identification are great the ability to manually adjust the tags as needed is a requirement and until it is in place the feature is completely useless to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently testing Mylio as an option to renewing my LR subscription. "Not currently planned" is unacceptable. Being able to manually assign people names to a photo is probably a "must have" for a large part of your users. Your last survey did not even address the issue so it sounds like you do not see future development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I suppose you mean 'vote'"... Yeah JJ, I changed this from a Problem to an Idea to match up with the feature request in our system. The button text changes when you do that. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need improved recognition - I need to be able to tag people who are not going ever to be recognizable. I agree completely with Rael  Daruszka. Existing implementation is a massive step back from what I had in my original Lightroom and it has cost me hours of time to add people into keywords in order to be able to find them. I now have to filter first on people and then separately on keyword to pick up all pictures of the same person. The only reason is that I do not migrate to an alternative is that with more than 12000 photos it will be such a pain. But keep this up Adobe and I'll just have to.
Not sure why you change from problem to idea - it is a GREAT BIG PROBLEM!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...the original post here is from 2018. it's May 2020 now. Is there still no upgrade that includes this fix? 

it is very frustrating the randomness with which Lr either finds or misses what is a face. Is anyone listening? Please add this feature back. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Rikk - this is a huge problem!  I need to be able to tag people who are "not recognized" by facial recognition.

also, some people are recognized in some pictures and not in others.  What's that all about? 

If Lightroom doesn't solve this, we will most likely discontinue using it and move to something else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people that need to be able to tag people not recognized by facial recognition. Please. Really Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add yourself by clicking Vote on the upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree manually adding is a much needed feature. I have photos with partial faces or with people facing away from the camera which have not been detected but I would still like them to be searchable. I understand the want to fix facial recognition, but surely you build from the ground up with manual first? Maybe even using the manual tagging as information for similar people in your collection that have not been noticed on the first sweep, maybe you'd need to confirm they're people but I'd much rather do that than have someone untagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: People have been asking for this for two years. It is completely disingenuous to tell paying customers like myself that you understand when you are clearly skirting the issue. The problem is not poor facial recognition. What we want is manual tagging for photos where faces will never be recognized.

Stop deliberately ignoring this. Get it done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom grouped 2 *different people together in an unnamed album and asked me to verify the match to yet a third different person. I clicked "No" and figured out I was given the opportunity to select photos, tap the three dots, tap "Add To" or "Move To" and reassign to different People album(s). I backed out of the menu to look at the Info tab for each photo before I "Moved" or "Added" them anywhere however when I went to actually add/move all I had access to move between was the standard Albums, not People albums.

I have multiple Albums filled with multiple wrong people that I haven't been able to fix in a long time. I just hide them for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guy at the top, who Lightroom "thinks" is a rack full of delicious blueberry muffins, was standing behind and to my right when I took the photo on the top left. I hadn't even met him at the time I took the other photos. Please, Adobe, tell me again how we don't need manual People tagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like your approach Matt. 
Could this be the nudge that finally shames Adobe into to adding this feature to their backlog / roadmap?
I will keep an eye out for similar errors of association and post them here too

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone! I just stumbled across this discussion today, because I was encountering the exact same problem, namely Lightroom Classic indexed faces, and in at least one case, found a face of a person in 4 photos, but did not recognize her face in four others. (My educated guess is it;s because she was in profile and in shadow.) I tried to tell Lightroom to check those 4 photos 1,000 times, and it never "found" a face at all in those photos.

HOWEVER, I Googled a little more and found a solution that might help everyone here! Check out the directions on this page, toward the bottom: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/face-recognition.html

I just did it, and it worked! I didn't add a keyword to the photos, I actually drew a box highlighting the face, said this is "Nancy Smith," and it added those 4 to the already facially tagged other 4. The instructions are not detailed, so it took me 5 minutes to get it. You need to be in the library in "People," but using the loupe view. That's what gives you the facial recognition tool.

I sure hope this helps everyone--I logged into this site, just to share this fix! 🙂

--Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about Lightroom Desktop - not Lightroom Classic. They do not use the same methods for face detection/tagging. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Too much multi-tasking today caused me to misread and confuse Classic and CC. C'est la vie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it will, but please do! Maybe if enough of us do this it will make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, odmatos! I still use both versions and will check this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it easier to develop the ability to manually tag a person than improving the AI?
Why not code the manual tagging feature first - and make your customers happy - and then try to improve the AI?

Also, from a commercial point of view, I don't think it makes sense to try to beat other companies that are far more powerful in the AI arena. I don't think Adobe will ever be capable of beating companies like Google or Facebook, that are fully committed to focus their business in Machine Learning and AI for the next couple of years and that are way ahead. Better to differentiate. If I wanted a powerful AI backed photo software I would be using Google Photos. But I want a software with powerful editing capabilities, that's why I'm using Adobe's. Ironically, I can't edit my people's tag correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the discussion, but now in the process of reverting back a migration of 30k+ photos from Classic to Adobe Lightroom/Lightroom/CC/Whatever it's now called due to this exact issue.

As I'm facing a daunting migration, I'm seriously looking at Lightroom competitors ATM.... :{

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom to organize the photo collection for business and I am trying to tag staff members. I accidentally made it tag certain staff using just their first name in lower case. It's infuriating I can't alter the tag setting itself to make it their full name. I have to manually go through each photo and give it a new tag. One of them I accidentally removed and now it won't let me select them in that photo at all. 

You are making it less user friendly by taking away fine manual control. This stuff should be so simple. Why is it so fiddly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe / Rikk: Your paying customers want updates, not platitudes. Stop with this "we understand the issue" nonsense. As previously stated, for two years now, the problem is not poor facial recognition. What we want is manual tagging for photos where faces will never be recognized. Stop dancing around. At best, you look foolish. At worst, you're ignoring your customers. Businesses that do this typically fail. Get your act together.

Give us a concrete update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe / Rikk: Your paying customers want updates, not platitudes. Stop with this "we understand the issue" nonsense. As previously stated, for two years now, the problem is not poor facial recognition. What we want is manual tagging for photos where faces will never be recognized. Stop dancing around. At best, you look foolish. At worst, you're ignoring your customers. Businesses that do this typically fail. Get your act together.

Give us a concrete update.

Votes

Translate

Translate