Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting Photos & Edits out of the Lightroom CC Catalog file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

Somehow, I accidentally deleted a few thousand photos from my Lightroom CC (not classic) library. I used Time Machine to restore an older  .lrlibrary file and started lightroom again but nothing happens, its just stuck and no photos show up. I could extract all originals from the .lrlibrary file and start over but then, all my edits and ratings etc. would be gone. I tried downloading everything via Lightroom CC Classic and also checked on lightroom.adobe.com and of course, the deleted pictures are gone in the cloud.

Is there a way to get ALL photos out from a lightroom CC .lrlibrary file including edits and ratings? For example to reimport them in lightroom CC classic? Is there an official procedure how to restore a .lrlibrary catalog from a local backup?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-25 um 15.36.10.jpg

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Hi Peter

Thanks for trying... I do have the originals myself from the Time Machine backup.

I will use Lightroom CC Classic to download all the photos from the cloud and then re-import the originals I accidentally deleted from the TM Backup. When I have everything together, I wil migrate to another software and cancel all my adobe subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big failing of the cloud Lightroom....

I will point someone at Adobe to this thread. For now, don't do anything more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the lrlibrary file is more like a cache file - with cloud Lightroom, the truth is in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I had the Option selected to store a copy of the files on locally. So the info must be there in the file somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everything is deleted from the cloud I think you are stumped. A backup up of the library cache may only be partial because the cache is dynamically managed so that older files drop out as new ones are added.

I could be worthwhile contacting Adobe support directly via on-line chat. Iā€™m not holding out any promises but they may be able to do something at the backend.

https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locally stored copies are linked to the cloud original file and will disappear if the cloud copy is deleted. Was this folder being backed up by Time machine? That could be a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the .lrlibrary file is backup up with Apple Time Machine, I have a full copy of the full .lrlibrary file before I accidentally deleted some photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I meant a TM backup of the folder or external drive which you setup in preferences to store a local copy for off-line editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thats the .lrlibrary file located in the /Users/NAME/Pictures/ folder. I do have a backup of that.

If I go into the .lrlibrary file (with show package content on mac os) then I see the originals folder which contain all the images. But these are the originals without the edits!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-25 um 16.19.39.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I understand. I thought you were perhaps using an external drive. Itā€™s good that you have a backup of the originals but I suggest you wait to see if Adobe can link them to the edit settings or restore everything from the server. Donā€™t import again at this stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant even import again as my lightroom CC is not working at all anymore as explained in the first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked someone at Adobe to contact you. I recommend you stop what you are doing and don't make things worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am already chatting with some support guy. They dont know their own product.. 

But I think I can figure it out myself somehow. I can restore again the old, good .lrlibrary and try to somehow open it while being offline, so all my files and edits should be there. Then I can export everything (originals + edits) I think.

The absolute worst and biggest fail about lightroom CC is this:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-25 um 17.01.46.png

I'll keep you updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Some support guy" is not the person I have asked to contact you - it won't be a person from Support.

You are wasting your time restoring the lrlibrary file. I'd recommend patience, but it's your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it looks like lightroom CC refuses to open an restored catalog somehow.

What is the person you have asked to contact me and when will that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tobi,

If you need to recover original photos that were successfully synced to the cloud, that is something we can do.  If you need to recover edits and ratings, that is not something we can do today.  That is something we hope to have available in a future release.  Unfortunately, I can't help you with this.

I also checked with the team here and they don't see a way to use Time Machine to accomplish this either.

Please do let me know if you need to recover any of the original photos.

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Thanks for trying... I do have the originals myself from the Time Machine backup.

I will use Lightroom CC Classic to download all the photos from the cloud and then re-import the originals I accidentally deleted from the TM Backup. When I have everything together, I wil migrate to another software and cancel all my adobe subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a funny way to say thank you.... It was you, not Adobe, who deleted those files and the edits. Going forward with Lightroom Classic, you would have your edits stored locally too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, everybody makes mistakes, backup and restore is a fundamental and crucial part of computing..

I eventually installed LR CC on my iMac about a week ago having used 6.14 for years. "Eventually" because it would not install - it got stuck at 9.8%. Support used a "CC Cleaner" to solve the problem and, of course completely deleted 6.14 and everything in it (can I get a refund?). Then I tried to install it on my MacBook, but the second support person could not comprehend the problem. So... I deleted all of 6.14 myself using CleanMyMac x which I had to buy to achieve that (can I get a refund?).

So I now learn from the above that it is impossible to restore images and settings in the event of a disaster like, for example, Adobes' servers crashing (anybody know what their backup procedures are and how safe my work is on their servers?). 

So I now have no 6.14 which I have loads of experience on, can only get the desktop for Ā£20 per month which includes CC which is a security nightmare, a rubbish experience trying to install CC, and a fear that I will not be able to restore following an error or a disaster.

Time to re-invest in a proper desktop photo app?

Discuss...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked someone at Adobe to reach out to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines