• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Harsh Background and Shadowed Subject

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with editing this photo and trying all the different combos and tutorials I can find, but for every problem I fix, it makes a different aspect of the photo worse. I can't figure out how to make my subject pop without overexposing the highlights. Also, I'd like to fix the coloration to have have a more light and airy feel. I've made some progress, but I'm not happy with any of the results, so I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions based on this raw image.

IMG_0501.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

This is the best I've been able to come up with, but as you can see, it's still no good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish there was an option to delete messages in this forum, but there isn't. Please disregard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I know this is a pretty terrible photo so I apologize. I was just testing out some settings on my way between locations during a couple's shoot, but my client fell in love with the photo so I was trying to fix it up for her as well as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some "quick" suggestions-

Highlights down

Shadows up

ScreenShot069.jpg

In the Color Mixer (HSL) panel-

Reduce some saturation and luminance of the background.

ScreenShot068.jpg

With the Brush Tool-

Brighten up the face and clothes-

ScreenShot070.jpg

Crop as desired-

ScreenShot071.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A difficult task, for sure. This is the best I was able to achieve. I know, not very good.

Redo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks better than what I've been able to manage! What settings did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the radial filter around her face and upper body. Increased exposure and shadows, reduced saturation just a bit. Then I switched to a small erasing brush in the radial filter to erase around her face and body. On the overall image I reduced yellow saturation just a little bit and added a slight vignette. Sorry I can't give you the numbers because I didn't keep the image. It's gone already. Probably could've done a lot better with the raw image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines