Highlighted

HEIF import from Canon R5 and R6 in Lightroom Classic/ Lightroom Desktop

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do anyone know if import of .hif (HEIF) files into Lighroom and Lightroom Classic from Canon R5/R6 cameras is supported or not supported (yet)? I cant't get it working in Lightroom from my Canon R6. 

TOPICS
Import and share

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HEIF import from Canon R5 and R6 in Lightroom Classic/ Lightroom Desktop

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do anyone know if import of .hif (HEIF) files into Lighroom and Lightroom Classic from Canon R5/R6 cameras is supported or not supported (yet)? I cant't get it working in Lightroom from my Canon R6. 

TOPICS
Import and share

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The HEIC image format are supported on latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop on both macOS and Windows.

If you're on macOS, ensure that HEIC support is enabled in Adobe Camera Raw:

In the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box, ensure that the JPEG/HEIC field is set to either Automatically open JPEGs and HEICs with settings or Automatically open all supported JPEGs and HEICs. To access Camera Raw Preferences, click the Open Preferences Dialog button 

For more details please refer this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html#heic-image-files 

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash

Thank you for answering, but my question was not about the support of the format. My question was about support for importing .hif files from Canon R5/R6 cameras through USD or cardreader. My Lr and LRC is not not seeing the files on my card. Lr and LrC see the .jpg files but NOT the .hif files although the are there. Lots of them actually. I have to convert them to .jpg if I want to import them. 

I have no problem importing and editing the HEIC files from my iPhone 11 Pro in Lr and LrC.

Frank

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing a couple sample files with us that you are not able to import? We will try to replicate the issue at our end.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Please PM me how to do it. I am om your list for testing prereleases of Lighroom C. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check with the product engineers and update you accordingly. 

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got my wonderful new Canon R6, took it on a job --- now I can't get the images into LR.  I downloaded Adobe DNG converter as instructed by someone else --- it won't ope these files either.  Needless to say, I am a little upset at this.  Can anyone assist?  TIA.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Canon user looking for an answer here from Adobe. I shot several photos in HEIF format on my R5. The files are saved to the card with a .HIF filename extension. Lightroom Classic (build 202008061458) does not recognize this extension and will not import the files.

If I rename the files to .HEIC, then lightroom will recognize the file, display a thumbnail "preview not available", and then fail to import the file (opens the error dialog window). If I rename the files to .HEIF, I get the same behavior as .HIF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0