• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help moving Lightroom CC to new computer, OSX Yosemite to Mojave

New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm madly lost.  Been taking care of my mother for 2 years and no time for photos. Got a new Mac and I'm trying to get my Lightroom CC files moved. Things are different and my previous notes aren't working. Google isn't helping.  Here's the scoop:

Old machine is Macbook Pro OSX Yosemite 10.10.5,    Lightroom CC 2015.14 release

New machine is Macbook Pro Mojave 10.14.6,  Lightroom CC version 3.2.1

My photos are stored on an external drive (yay because I have a LOT).

What I always did was copy my catalog from user/pictures/Lightroom/lightroom catalog.lrcat and my presets folder from user/library/application support/adobe/lightroom and put both in my 2nd computer (I used to move it from one to other of my computers).

I also have Smugmug plug-In and the ON1 10 plug-in. Possibly more.

The folders where I thought they should go look different and I'm not sure what to do, where to put my copied folders, or maybe I should only copy specific files?

Hope I remembered to supply all the info needed, let me know if not.  

I'm going to have to go through the same thing with Photoshop CC but I can't even think about that yet, but if you can direct me to a place with info, I'd appreciate it.  I still have care of my mother but I'm hoping I can make some time to relearn everything!

Thank you in advance!

Wendy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot be very much help to you. However, if you're going to move a library of photos to a new compuuter,  and you are expecting to use a previous catalog without problems then you cannot allow the folders to look "different". The folder structure needs to be precisely the same as it was on the old computer. Otherwise the catalog isn't going to know where the images are and won't be able to line things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what the folder layout is?  I don't understand, and can't find, an explanation of the changes that were made.  Surely people have upgraded from an old version of CC on an old OS, to a newer version on a newer OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you need to install and use Lightroom Classic on the new computer, which is the upgraded software of 2015.

Lightroom 3.2.1 is the latest version of the cloud storage-based Lightroom first released in 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand...I'm using Lightroom CC on my old computer...why would I need Classic on the new computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's naming convention for Lightroom over the past few years has been very confusing.

There are two types..... the traditional Lightroom, where photos are stored on the local hard disc and the cloud based Lightroom, released in 2017, where photos are stored in the Cloud.

Lightroom CC 2015 (also called Lightroom 6) is what you had on you old computer. In 2017 the next version was released called Lightroom Classic CC (aka Lightroom 7). The CC has now been dropped and it's now just Lightroom Classic.

When the cloud based Lightroom 'came out' in 2017, it was called Lightroom CC (at the same time the traditional Lightroom CC was renamed Lightroom Classic CC). Again, the CC has now been dropped, so it is just named Lightroom and the latest version is 3.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my!!  I missed an important section of Lightroom History.  So if I'm understanding correctly, that's why I should download Lightroom Classic on my new computer.  I didn't because I thought they were talking about the old old version I had that was actually on a disk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can have both installed but I think you are looking for Classic. I think when you start it up you may get an upgrade catalog message, but not entirely sure as I'm not a Classic user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines