• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP - Recreating Classic Folder Structure As Albums After Migrating

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I migrated from Classic to Cloud.  In Classic I used folders for organizing my photos (i.e weddings/2019/John) and didn't really use many collections and didn't realize Cloud wouldn't replicate the folder structure. When I migrated to Cloud, I obviously lost the folder structure so now I just have a ton of unorganized photos in Cloud (with local copies saved by Cloud in folders by date, so they're duplicated on my hard drive).

I still have access to Classic with my original folder structure.  Is there any easy way to use those folder structures to get my Cloud photos into collections/albums?

One thought I had is I could go to Cloud and add photos and select one of the original folders and add that into a new album.  But then the photos would be duplicated and I'm not sure if Cloud would realize the file itself is a duplicate and not treat it like a second file for both cloud and local storage purposes.

Or alternatively, can I "unmigrate" my library and just re-start with my Classic as it is now, but create a bunch of Collections before re-doing the migration?  Not sure if there's a way to just cancel the Cloud subsription and go back to just Classic and then re-sign up for Cloud.

Or even just delete everything stored in Cloud and start over by recreating the collecting in Classic and then telling them to sync with Cloud?

I really want to avoid having to manually go re-create all of the folders as albums.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I have about 45,000 photos and LR CC split them between albums if a photo was attached to multiple collections. It's going to be a pain to try to recreate a sane organizational structure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag & drop folders in the collection panel in Lightroom Classic to create collections that mirror the folders, but if you did that and then migrated again, that would still only do half the work. Collections are migrated as albums, but collection sets are not migrated. That means you would still have to create the hierarchy manually.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s what I thought Johan, but after reading this thread this morning, I wondered if it had changed and see on Victoria’s website that Sets do now apparently become Folders in the Cloud: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/migrate-from-classic-to-lightroom-cloud/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be new and definitely an improvement.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that collections sets are still not syncing. Look at this thread, where Victoria confirms that (to the same OP?) as recently as yesterday (in message 2): https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/help-recreating-classic-folder-structure-as-albums-...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yep Johan, Victoria does seem to say that, although maybe differs from her migration page. May add a question at the end, and indeed looks the same OP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines