• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Can I See The Files that Are Sync'd to Lightroom CC?

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom CC for a specific subset of my photo library.  For everything else I use Lightroom Classic. 

I am on the basic Photography plan, which entitles me to 20GB of CC storage, but the source files that I sync'd add up to more like 24GB, so I keep getting the warning that I am over my permitted storage.  

I gather that the photos that are sync'd to CC are stored there, right.  So what do I have to do to see those photos as folders and files, like I can with LR Classic on my local system? I  want to see a listing of what's in my CC account as file names with attendant meta data – i.e the file sizes – so that I can see what files are using so much of the allotted storage and delete some to bring it back down under 20GB.  

I've gone through the online literature and can't seem to find it.  I have followed these instructions: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-creative-cloud-files.html

... but nothing shows up under Files > Sync'd files, which is where I would expect to see what I'm looking for.  It says "you have no cloud documents." 

Is there a way to see what's in my account as files not photos?

Thanks, 

--PS 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two types of cloud storage e.g. shared assets and Lightroom Photos.

The first could typically be files being saved from Photoshop, templates or backed-up presets etc.

Lightroom Photos will include everything imported from phone, tablet or from the desktop version currently Lightroom 3.2 or smart previews sync’d from collections in Lightroom Classic. Those smart previews don’t count towards your storage limit.

You can log-in to your web app from a browser for a definitive view of what is stored in the cloud from Lightroom.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

The only real way to determine file size is to open the right-hand info panel (click the i icon) and use the left & right arrow keys to scroll through the files. Clicking the cloud icon (top-right) will show total storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The only real way to determine file size is to open the right-hand info panel (click the i icon) and use the left & right arrow keys to scroll through the files. Clicking the cloud icon (top-right) will show total storage."

Now we're getting somewhere, though the desired destination remains elusive.  I did click the "i" icon, and yes, that does give me some info about the individual files.  I can see from that the name of the original file, which affirms for me the source from when I first sync'd that one subset of my Library w LRCC.  

And, yes, I can see umder the little "cloud" icon in the upper right what my total storage is, and that Adobe appears to providing an additional 4GB of cloud storage for free, for which I am grateful.  

What I am still looking for is a view of the files stored in Adobe Cloud that resembles the kind of listing that I see when I click "show in finder" in LR CLASSIC.  (Ideally) A view like that would allow me to sort the files by size, and then I can see if there are any inordinately large files that I can delete / stop sync'ing.  

It may be that there is a large-ish (i.e. 5GB) portion of what is sync'd that I could un-sync, which would bring me under the 20GB Adobe provides with the basic $10/mo Photographer subscription; It might make more sense to just upgrade to the next tier,  which is $16.45 for 1 whole TB.  That's not unreassonable at all, it's only like $5/mo more.  But its also 995GB more than I actually need.   Even then, I'd still like to have that "finder" -like listing of what's in my Creative Cloud account with Lightroom CC.

In any event, thank you, 99jon, for taking my question seriously and not scolding me because I have a novel way of using these programs that does not conform with somebody's prescribed ways for how they're supposed to work.  It works for me, I am just trying to get a clearer view of something under the hood. 

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure things will be any quicker in Finder for your sub-set or using spotlight unless folder sizes are any indication. Otherwise you would need to select files and press cmd+i to find file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but how do I even get Finder to see what's in my Creative Cloud storage? 

I know with Dropbox or iCloud Drive I can drill right into the folder in those cloud-stored services direclty from Finder.  Is there some way to do that with Creative Cloud? Cuz... that's what I'm really trying to do. 

Or, if there was a way within LRCC to see what files I sync'd to LR (it's been a long time since I set all this up), that would help. 

Thanks again, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom is a bit different. It uses a library cache which is managed dynamically. You could try looking for clues in the cache.  Go to your Pictures folder and right-click (control-click) on Lightroom Library.lrlibrary and choose “Show Package Contents”

You should find a folder with a long string of letters & numbers. Navigate to the folder with originals and you should see files in dated sub-folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, 99Jon.  I know it has been a couple of months since I started this discussion but I am just getting back to the issue.  I trust this tardy reply will show up on your radar smomewehre. 

Your suggestion to "show package contents" is helpful, it does give me a localized view of what has been stored up in Adobe heaven.  It is, however, a tad perplexing to see that my LightroomLibrary.Library file is 4GB, when LR is telling me that I have 24GB in cloud storage.  Incidentally I upgraded my account so I'm no longer getting there error message from Adobe about upgrading. 

Also, it's a tad bothersome that the 20GB of files that I loaded into LRCC have been effectively duplicated in the Library.Library.  That's a page from Apple Photos that Adobe didn't need to replicate.   

Anyway: I am still perplexed re: how to manage files in this cloud version of Lightroom.  Frankly I don't see how it's done, period.  

I have reached a point in a project where I want to begin organizing a slew of files from my family's historical photo albums.  The original albums from the 1940s - 1980s were commercially scanned, and all have file names like "op_8abelhj6h134.jpg".  I want to organize the files into approximate periods (WWII, PostWar, Early Years, etc.) and then begin to rename them accordingly.  

Maybe I am too accustomed to the Library panel in Lightroom Classic, which gives me total control of every folder and file I'm working with.  In LR Classic, I can rename folders and rename files and even batch rename files if that's what I need to do.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to do any that in this new Lightroom CC.

I'd like to think that I'm just missing something, that there is a button or a label somewhere that I can click on that will show me the actual file contents like the Library view in Classic.  But I'm not gonna find that, am I? 

I started using LRCC that because I want to have access to these photos on all my devices, but I might be starting to regret that choice.

Can I buy a vowel?  Get a clue?  Help me, Obi-Wan... 

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me that Lr Classic may be more suitable for your needs. You can still get photos into the cloud and all your devices by placing them in collections and marking those collections for sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back on the case...

I think you've got the right idea there. For so many reasons.... 

I think what I would like to do now is create a catalog in LRClassic for this collection of family album-related stuff.  Now the question is... what's the best way to do that?

I have the original scan files on an external hard drive; now I guess I also have copies of those files in the LRLibrary file, so they are also on the internal SSD on my laptop.  That's fine, they can stay where they are.  I have done a little bit of editing of those files - creating virtual copies, cropping and b&w tone adjustments.  So there is some new stuff in additon to the original files, and I would like to get it all into an LRC catalog. 

I see that the catalog for LRCC is labeld "Managed Catalog.mcat" - you think it would do any good to import that into an empty LRClassic catalog? 

If not, is there a way to isolate the new work / files and import them separately? 

I guess I'll try a couple of things... 

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUOTE:

I use Lightroom CC for a specific subset of my photo library.  For everything else I use Lightroom CC. 

END QUOTE:

What?????????????????????????????

You use LR CC for Specific images and for everything else you use LR CC?????

That is the same exact program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, for the "everything else I use..."  I meant Lightroom Classic.  I have edited the post. 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I think I have finally found the solution to this issue. Open lightroom CC (even if you don't use it). Click the filter icon and select "Synced and Backed Up" there are a few other options but this one found all of the photos stored specifically with a backup in the cloud (taking up all the space). I then selected all of the photos and created an album with them in. You can then re-open lightroom classic. The new collection will be there and you can use it to find, sort and delete what you need. 

Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 21.57.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines