• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save a photo in Photoshop as a JPEG for it to appear in Lightroom with Ps adjustments?

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m new to Photoshop but quite familiar with Lightroom. When I choose ‘save’ in photoshop and close the program, the image appears as a PSD next to my RAW file in Lightroom. The PSD file is about 256 mb so I’m concerned about running out of disk space.  If I choose save as a JPEG, the image is saved in the correct destination folder but does not appear in the Lightroom catalog. Is there a way I can save as a jpeg from Ps and for it to automatically appear in Lightroom rather than having to import the image back? Sorry for the long winded explanation. 

Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Are you using Lightroom Classic?

If you right-click on the folder name in the LR Library and choose synchronize folder, the jpeg should be added to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

It should work on Mac. Make sure you choose the app and not the folder in external editing preferences.

Macintosh HD >> Applications  >> Adobe Photoshop 2020 >> Adobe Photoshop 2020.app

Right-click and choose Edit in >> Photoshop for Jpeg (or your own name)

When you finish editing in PS  press Cmd+W and then click Save.

Let us know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom Classic?

If you right-click on the folder name in the LR Library and choose synchronize folder, the jpeg should be added to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just done that and a few photos appeared to be imported. Do I need
to do this each time I save a jpeg in Photoshop in order to get it in my
Lightroom catalog?

Thank you for your help!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions-

You can set Photoshop as an 'Additional External Editor' in the Preferences dialog, and here you set the file type to JPG, 8bit,sRGB..

Thus [Edit-in: PHOTOSHOP as JPG]  (as a preset) will do what you want.

ScreenShot254.jpgScreenShot255.jpg

You must 'Flatten (any) Layers' and [Save] in Photoshop- for the JPG to appear back in Lr.

(If the default Ps Edit-in creates a PSD and you use [Save As a JPG] you would need to do a 'Synchronize Folder' which would import the new JPG file to the Lr catalog. And you may have also created the .PSD unless you replied 'No' to the closing [Save] dialog!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I created a PSD and then ‘save as’ to create a JPEG. I thought there might be a way to return directly to Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes- Create the 'Additional External Editor' preset as I suggest above- and it does! "return directly to Lightroom"

So the procedure is-

1) [Edit in-  the PRESET for Ps as JPG]

2) Edit the photo in Ps.  (Note: that the photo tab in Ps may still show the raw filetype- ignore this)

3) Flatten any layers.

4) [Save] and [Close]

The JPG is back in Lr!  (and no PSD need be created.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you you have been very helpful. One question - how do you flatten
layers? I’m very new to photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an additional external editor in Lightroom but there is no way of choosing this. When I try and edit in the preset it just takes me in a loop to the preferences and there’s is nothing I can do. Very frustrated with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I’ve done this but when saving, I’m prompted to choose where to save on computer (in other words it’s saving as) and when I close the image does not appear in Lightroom. I have to synchronise the folder to get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under additional Editor, set format as jpeg, 8bits etc. and click the choose button.

Navigate to and choose Photoshop.exe

You will probably get a message Photoshop is already set as the main Editor app but choose it anyway.

Now click the pulldown menu and save the current settings with a meaningful name. I used Photoshop for Jpeg – see image.

To edit as your usual PSD use Ctrl+E

To edit as Jpeg use Ctrl+Alt+E

There is no need to worry about flattening images. Jpegs are automatically flattened.

When you finish editing in Photoshop use:

Ctrl+S to save your edits (do not use Save AS)

Ctrl+W to close in Photoshop and update Lightroom Library

ExPref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed your instructions and I was a able to setup an external editor. However when I click CMD + S to save the JPEG back to Lightroom, I’m prompted to save on my computer (save as) with no other option. The JPEG is saved in a destination folder but I need to synchronise the folder to get it back to Lightroom. Not the case when you save a PSD it goes back to Lightroom. Maybe there is something I’m not ticking somewhere? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD+S is only for the default Photoshop>PSD/TIFF format.

For "Additional External Editors" including Ps as JPG (as suggested in above posts)- they are opened by a [Right-Click] > [Edit in] > Choose the Preset for [Ps-JPG] or whatever you called it.

ScreenShot262.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand that. I just thought there might be a way to get the jpeg
back in Lightroom rather than having to synchronise the folder. When you
save a PSD it goes straight back to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work on Mac. Make sure you choose the app and not the folder in external editing preferences.

Macintosh HD >> Applications  >> Adobe Photoshop 2020 >> Adobe Photoshop 2020.app

Right-click and choose Edit in >> Photoshop for Jpeg (or your own name)

When you finish editing in PS  press Cmd+W and then click Save.

Let us know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes done this. Only option after making changes in Ps is to ‘save as’ a
jpeg which I need to return to Lightroom by synchronising the folder. Not a
drama I just thought it should be able to send straight back to Lightroom
as happens with a psd.

There must be a way. Might be a glitch in my settings.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works OK for me on Windows & Mac. The only difference on Mac seems to be the need to use Cmd+W first and then the save button appears. Click that once to save the jpeg rendered from Lr Library.

Obviously “save as” creates a new document which Lightroom knows nothing of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines