Highlighted

How do I see the entire image in a RAW file with cropping information in non-3:2 aspect ratio?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken some images with an aspect ratio of 1:1 set in my Canon camera, so that it appends the cropping information to the file. I want to be able to see the rest of the image outside the 1:1 box that has been stored in the .CR2 file, but I can't find a way in Lightroom to do this. If I press R to bring up the crop tool, Lightroom does not show any of the image outside the 1:1 box. Opening in Photoshop doesn't help either, whether I open the .CR2 file directly or via Lightroom.

I know this information must be there. In my Canon manual it says: "JPEG images will be saved with the set aspect ratio. RAW images will always be saved with the [3:2] aspect ratio ... the aspect ratio information is appended to the RAW image". Additionally the entire image is shown in Preview and also the file thumbnail in Finder.

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I see the entire image in a RAW file with cropping information in non-3:2 aspect ratio?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken some images with an aspect ratio of 1:1 set in my Canon camera, so that it appends the cropping information to the file. I want to be able to see the rest of the image outside the 1:1 box that has been stored in the .CR2 file, but I can't find a way in Lightroom to do this. If I press R to bring up the crop tool, Lightroom does not show any of the image outside the 1:1 box. Opening in Photoshop doesn't help either, whether I open the .CR2 file directly or via Lightroom.

I know this information must be there. In my Canon manual it says: "JPEG images will be saved with the set aspect ratio. RAW images will always be saved with the [3:2] aspect ratio ... the aspect ratio information is appended to the RAW image". Additionally the entire image is shown in Preview and also the file thumbnail in Finder.

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 01, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you  tried to open the image in any other app? What does it look like in Photoshop or Bridge?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just shows the square photo in Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge, and I can't crop outside it in Lightroom or Photoshop (I don't believe you can crop in Bridge).

The filesize is the same as any other .CR2 file without cropping data attached. I can see the whole image in Apple Preview, and according to other's who have run into this problem with Adobe software it is possible to see the entire image in Canon's own software (Digital Photo Professional). However I don't want to introduce extra complexity and software into my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After pressing R or clicking the crop tool it should be possible to drag out the crop box to show all the captured data.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that doesn't work. That is the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
99jon LATEST
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works OK for me with my CR2 files. Maybe you could upload one of your raw files shot at the aspect 1:1 to dropbox or a similar service and we can take a closer look.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0