• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transfer photos from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom CC?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking I can't download LRcc to this older OS, 10.12.6. which I can't update. 2014 Macbook Pro. Adobe gives me the prompt to download LR classic instead and a older version of Photoshop. I currently have LR 6 on my Laptop.

I also have a new Imac which is already to go, LRcc etc.

How do I get my LR6 photos to LRcc from my old Macbook Pro and keep the collections?  LR6 photos are stored on a external harddrive.

I think I covered everything so far in a  randomly fashion. 

Thanks for your time,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is now simply called Lightroom. As you know, the Lightroom 6 catalog is not compatible with Lightroom. You would need to install the trial version of Lightroom Classic long enough to use it to convert your catalog to the format that is compatible with Lightroom. That is a simple process. The first time start Lightroom Classic, it will find your Lightroom 6 catalog and prompt you to upgrade it. You accept that, and a new copy of the catalog will be created. Then Lightroom (for the cloud) will use that new copy to synchronize and move everything to the cloud. After the conversion of the catalog is complete you can simply use the creative cloud application manager to remove Lightroom Classic from your computer. It will NOT remove the catalog that it created.

Don't expect to keep your collections and find everything organized the same in Lightroom as you have had it organized in Lightroom 6. Lightroom is organized completely differently, and it will be necessary for you to reorganize your photos into albums after everything is synchronized. It really is quite different as far as organization is concerned. And if you haven't looked at Lightroom, be prepared to change your thinking a bit. Some features are different, and some features are missing. For instance, there are no printing capabilities whatsoever in Lightroom, for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The collections will come through in the catalog upgrade. However, the collections will NOT migrate to Lightroom for the cloud. Lightroom organizes things quite differently, as you will discover. But I'm glad you were able to get things figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Windows user, Windows 10. I just checked the system requirements for Lightroom, and you are right. The OS you are using is too old for Lightroom for the. If you cannot upgrade the OS then I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Lightroom system requirements 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim,

I did the process in more or less of the way you described. Even got my collections to come through. I did loose a few 100 originals but nothing to do with the migration. Something I had done earlier and I just need to hunt them down.

Cheers Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you have a new iMac, ready to go for Lightroom (cc). So why can't you install a trial version of Lightroom Classic on that new iMac and upgrade the Lr6 catalog with that?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I read the system requirements correctly, the OS being used won't support Lightroom. The OP indicates that it is not possible to upgrade the OS. So upgrading the catalog isn't going to accomplish anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP says: "I also have a new Imac which is already to go, LRcc etc. How do I get my LR6 photos to LRcc from my old Macbook Pro and keep the collections?"

The way I read this is that he wants to get the Lightroom 6 catalog from his old MacBook Pro and migrate it to Lightroom (CC) on the new iMac. That can be done the way I described. There is no reason to assume that the new iMac is also runnning MacOS 10.12.6 and can't be upgraded. That only applies to the MBP.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help John! I goterdone.

Cheers Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that little tidbit didn't sink in. So all that would be necessary would be to take the Lightroom 6 catalog and images to the new computer and install the trial version of Classic long enough to convert the catalog, and the OP would be good to go with Lightroom. Then Classic could be removed as you have suggested.

Dave, you would want to connect the external hard drive to the new computer so that Lightroom Classic will have access to that external drive Then install Lightroom Classic just long enough to run it to convert the catalog. After that conversion has taken place you will have a new copy of the catalog that will be compatible with Lightroom (for the cloud), and Classic can be removed from the new computer and you can proceed with moving your images to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines