Highlighted

How to backup sorted photos from LRCC on external hard-drive?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, 

I'm using Lightroom CC (not Classic) and I'd like to have an additional backup as safety (Adobe cloud+external SSD). Could you please tell me if my strategy is optimal? Or if you are using a better one? I've been searching this on the web for 2 days now but couldn't find other examples...

My current strategy

I always transfer all my pictures from the SD card of my camera to an initial folder on my external SSD. 

Then I sort them on LRCC: I flag them as "picked" or "rejected".

I delete the rejected ones. And "Export as original+settings" the picked ones to my SSD in a final folder.

Then I delete the initial folder on my SSD and only keep the final one to save space.

Should I use the option "Store a copy of all the originals at the specified location" in LRCC Preferences? Will it delete the photos on my external SSD when I delete my pictures flagged as rejected in LRCC? And also I don't want to backup on my external SSD the photos from my iphone that are saved to the Adobe Cloud via the LRCC iphone app.

Thank you so much for your time,

Robin

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to backup sorted photos from LRCC on external hard-drive?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, 

I'm using Lightroom CC (not Classic) and I'd like to have an additional backup as safety (Adobe cloud+external SSD). Could you please tell me if my strategy is optimal? Or if you are using a better one? I've been searching this on the web for 2 days now but couldn't find other examples...

My current strategy

I always transfer all my pictures from the SD card of my camera to an initial folder on my external SSD. 

Then I sort them on LRCC: I flag them as "picked" or "rejected".

I delete the rejected ones. And "Export as original+settings" the picked ones to my SSD in a final folder.

Then I delete the initial folder on my SSD and only keep the final one to save space.

Should I use the option "Store a copy of all the originals at the specified location" in LRCC Preferences? Will it delete the photos on my external SSD when I delete my pictures flagged as rejected in LRCC? And also I don't want to backup on my external SSD the photos from my iphone that are saved to the Adobe Cloud via the LRCC iphone app.

Thank you so much for your time,

Robin

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 04, 2020 0
selondon LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin,

So when you copy to the SSD, you then import into Lightroom, correct?

So you have a copy in Lightroom that is uploaded to the Cloud and the original still on the SSD. When you pick/reject, this has no relation to the original on the SSD, they are not linked in any way.

You are then exporting an edited version, plus the xmp sidecar as a backup, so then you will have three copies.

Storing all originals at a specified location basically creates a mirror of the cloud at that location (mostly used for faster access and piece of mind) in a folder structure determined by the application.

Photos rejected and deleted in Lightroom will be deleted from the Cloud and the specified location for originals.

The original file and the exported one will not be deleted as Lightroom does not link to these, they are independent of the Lightroom Catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 1