• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Search for Duplicate Photos after import

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember the last time I ever had to worry about duplicates but recently I imported pictures manually from my camera roll and it clearly has imported hundreds of duplicates (with identical filenames mind you). This exclusively happened to HEIC and JPGs from my iPhone's camera roll so it feels like a bug specific to iOS perhaps.

All this brings up the very odd choice of not offering the same deduplicate feature available within the import flow *after* the images are already in the library. In my case, that's hundreds of photos I have to hunt for manually, when the process would be instantaneous if the dupe finder was available outside of the import flow. 

It would also be incredibly useful to be able to group photos from the library that are not *quite* duplicates but very identical (think bursts or multiple edits of the same shot) and allow me to find them, pick the ones I want to keep and either delete or mark the others as rejected. 

I'm not quite sure what version of Lightroom for iOS I was running when the duplicated import issue happened but I'm currently on v7.1.0 if that's any help. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
53 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to have "Search for duplicates" function in Lightroom CC. I have more than 30k images in my library. They were imported from different Lightroom Classic catalogs. I'm sure there are duplicates in there. Even more - would be great to have function "Search for similar images". The one which can be found in Gemini product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I migrated my icloud photo collection (120.000 images) to Lightroom CC recently. Somehow my Lightroom collection contains a lot of duplicates images (master doubles, master/low res doubles etc...).

How can I find and remove duplicates and/or similar images in Lightroom CC (not Classic)? It is not a realistic option to manually find these duplicates with these amount of photos so there must be a way to let the computer do that?

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CvT,

Sorry to hear that. Could you please explain how you started the import in Lightroom CC? Did you exported all the images out from iCloud and then imported them into Lightroom CC. Does the duplicate images have a different name?

Please refer the below discussion to get some idea about the correct import workflow for Lightroom CC from different applications.

Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm coming from LR classic, just made the transition to CC. I have nearly all my pictures in duplicates. That's really bad, and I just can't delete them one by one... What can I do ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Somehow last couple of weeks my collection doubled or nearly doubled.  I have tons of duplicates.  I use lightroom classic as my primary and lightroom CC is just synced from it.  I have 50k in the classic and over 80k in CC suddenly.  I am not sure how the additions occured or where they came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both great feature requests Sergiy. 

Photo organization can really use some more machine learning love:
  1. Find duplicates
  2. Find similar images
  3. Find pets
  4. Group photos by dominant color
  5. Find blurry pictures
  6. Are people smiling or not, do they have their eyes open (especially handy for within a burst stack)
The best photos feature currently in technology preview is a good start!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identify and remove duplicates Is there a feature for lightroom cc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2019 Sep 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 that would be great !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to search for visually identical or similar images that may be at different resolutions. The main use case is if in the past I imported some files and renamed them one way and maybe added some keywords and then later I am not sure if I imported them (I'm retiring an old phone and offloading all the data, for example) so I go to import them again. I want Lightroom to be smart and say "hey, these very similar images exist - are you sure about importing these new ones?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if I could type in the smart search bar "duplicates" and it would be able to find all duplicate images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link does not even exist anymore...
Why is there no feature to remove duplicates?
Simplest explanation on how they are created in todays world:
Whatsapp does differentiate between sent and received images. Therefore images you received or send, are both saved an therefore you have your original high resolution image and the one, that you sent, which gets cropped and downscaled. I got at least 3000 duplicates in my lightroom now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Any news on the issue above?

I am experiencing similar problem and Im struggling to find relevant answer.

Thanks,

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say I have exactly same issue. Maybe it's better for me to re-import all images again from Classic. Don't want to spoil the party but CC still seems a beta compared with Classic. Not sure why Adobe is hell bent on migrating us to a worse product

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too need this feature. When I migrated from Lightroom Classic to CC it only successfully migrated my collections. All the folders I had were just dumped into a single folder and album in CC. I'll note that it only succesfully took applied profiles for photos in collections.. and the mass dump folder has 0 edits at all. Great. That's thousands of photos. Now I have to manually go through them all to re-organize.. and I am finding this creates duplicates between the collections that were successful and the other giant folder Lightroom created. 

I'm blown away that they have such a great feature for facial recognition that is automated.. and no feature to find and remove duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Plus, images that have been downloaded after the migration are also doubling and trippling.  I think they reproduce overnight!  "The Trouble With Tribbles"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes me too this feature should be a priority for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love this feature as well... How hard can it be to add a "remove duplicates" option that lets you keep the highest def files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you guys. Looking foraward for any solution to remove duplicates from cloud

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Seems like a basic feature that should have been added a long time ago. The simplicity of Lightroom CC is so frustrating. It feels like an Apple or Google product that intentionally removes the control you have so it's "easier" for people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please update your post and correct the wrong link ? It sounds we are many people looking for such feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress or even outlok on this simple feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have an iPad as well? We often see this where iCloud Photos is syncing photos to both devices, and one or both have LR's Auto Import enabled.

I do agree that post-import duplicate detection would be very useful in the cloud ecosystem. I'll move this to a feature request, but if a moderator remembers an existing feature request (which I can't find right now!) already exists, they might merge it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about. Yeah a basic feature like that should be present in Lightoom CC. Especially when our customers pay a monthly subscription for it.

And you respond with a question like that?

No wonder Lightroom CC in 2022 still misses some essential basics that every image library/editor has and should have.

2 years later. No reply. Incredible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is. a great product. A suggestion that I know must be repetative is to have the option to remove any/all duplicates entered into the libary POST upload. I have over 50,000 images...guessing at least 1/3 could be duplicates. To individually comb through all images would be too time consuming. Certainly having this feature would be of great usage to a great many users.

Votes

Translate

Translate