• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Import photos into new LR install?

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer C: drive died to I reinstalled Windows 10 and LR. Now I need to import my photos. I can't find any of my saved Catalogs. All of the photos have been edited in LR and they all have XMP files. They are organized by date and every day I shot has its own folder. I would like to keep this organization. 

This is how it looks in my Folder:

duglst_0-1608764934372.png

What is the easiest way to import the photos and keep the chronological organization?
Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

You have posted in the Lightroom-(MOBILE) forum, but-

IF I understand you are using Lightroom-CLASSIC or a Perpetual Version (eg. 6.14), then-

Import using the 'ADD' option above the main Import window. All your folders and files will remain exactly where they are.

Having a Backup Catalog would have been a better answer.

https://youtu.be/--nEKNEH_1I?list=PLmXfFxjdp3CHCRpDULlvcaqWfK_zLPWF2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have posted in the Lightroom-(MOBILE) forum, but-

IF I understand you are using Lightroom-CLASSIC or a Perpetual Version (eg. 6.14), then-

Import using the 'ADD' option above the main Import window. All your folders and files will remain exactly where they are.

Having a Backup Catalog would have been a better answer.

https://youtu.be/--nEKNEH_1I?list=PLmXfFxjdp3CHCRpDULlvcaqWfK_zLPWF2

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, WobertC.

For the last several years the icon for my LR app was LR so when I got my computer working again, after it crashed, I downloaded LR. Later I realized that my old LR was LR Classic. My LR Classic got regular updates but the icon on my computer continued to be LR. When I downloaded LRc, the icon became LRc. 

I had kept lots of Backup on drives other than the C: OS drive that crashed but I couldn't find them because it has been years since I set that up and I have several drive.... Eventually I searched my other drives and found several recent Backups. Now everything is working great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines