• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move photos to local storage from Lightroom desktop to free up Cloud storage?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running out of cloud storage and I'm trying to move albums that I'm finished with to my local disk to free up space. I want to keep everything in my Lightroom CC Catalogue but just have them stored locally.

Is there a way to do that in Lightroom CC or do I seriously have to export everything back to Lightroom Classic?

{Thread title edited by moderator }

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Hi,

It is currently not possible to store the images locally without them taking up cloud storage via Lightroom (cloud). The application has been designed to sync the original files to the cloud storage so that they are available on all devices you are signed in to.

You can export the images to your computers local storage and remove them from the cloud storage if required.

You can submit your feedback/ feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40874

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

If you have sync in on Classic, then all photos in the Cloud should download to Classic (folder designated in Preferences).

Once downloaded they can be deleted from the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is currently not possible to store the images locally without them taking up cloud storage via Lightroom (cloud). The application has been designed to sync the original files to the cloud storage so that they are available on all devices you are signed in to.

You can export the images to your computers local storage and remove them from the cloud storage if required.

You can submit your feedback/ feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40874

This forum is monitored directly by our developers. They can review your submission and may share more insights.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have sync in on Classic, then all photos in the Cloud should download to Classic (folder designated in Preferences).

Once downloaded they can be deleted from the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain a bit more about this?
They didn't make it easy to figure out.

I've downloaded Lightroom Classic and let it sync with Lightroom CC. I turned off album syncing and of course all it did was remove all the albums from Lightroom CC and not the photos. How do I make sure that I can delete the photos from Lightroom CC without that syncing across to Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer not to clear cloud space by downloading everything to Lr Classic, then you can upgrade the amount of cloud stoarge associated with your Adobe account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did think about this, but I really don't want to pay $30 extra a month for 2TB... even Apple only charges $10 a month for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was in the same situation and wanted to drop Lightroom CC and the storage fee. To easily migrate from Lightroom to Lightroom Classic, turn on sync in Classic (cloud icon top right corner). Wait till everything is downloaded/synced, then beside each album/collection, you will see an icon with 2 arrows, indicating every change made to them is reflected in the cloud. The next step is di disable the sync on each album and photo, go to the All synced photos panel, select all, and disable the sync. Do the same for albums and finally disable cloud sync from the top-right icon. Now you are using only local files, you can safely delete images from the cloud using Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines