• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to re-import photos to arrange in order shot?

Participant ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the folders of photos I've imported to Lightroom have the images not in the sequence they were taken. This has happened due to the iPhone's file naming system. I now know how to avoid this issue but I want to go back and correct those folders already imported that have the images not in order.

How can I rearrange, re-import, and/or rename those photos so they appear in the folders in the order taken?

In case my question is not clear: For example, I have a folder named 2017_08_28. The 175 items in that folder are not in chronological order. The filename format is 20170828_XXX, where the first part is YYYYMMDD and XXX is the numerical sequence of the photos on a given date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are using Lightroom Classic. Ignore the filename. It is not important inside Lightroom. Just sort on capture time. This will put your images in sequence. If you want to rename the files so the filenames are in sequence, you can use the rename files dialog (Library Menu or hit F2)

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 11.57.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Jao_vdL. Yes, it's Classic. I tried renaming using the Rename Photos dialog but it did not work. Here's what I did: I sorted by Capture Time, selected all photos, then hit F2. The File Naming drop-down already had my format selected, so I clicked OK, but nothing changed. I searched for an answer as to what could be wrong but could find nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines