• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to run LIghroom CC solely from external harddrive?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej,

I know that I can change the folder in which lightroom cc will save the originals by "preferences".  However, I have a folder in my "windows" drive under --> "Users" --> "AppData" --> "Local" --> "Adobe". In this folder there is more saved than just the originals. I do not want this folder on my windows drive and would like to move it to my external harddrive.

Is it possible to run lightroom CC soley from an external harddrive

Can I move this folder to an external harddrive? 

What do I need to take into consideration?

Best,

Tobi

Best,

Tobi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AppData includes previews as well as originals. You can't simply move this file to a different drive. Lightroom needs access to it. You can change the location in the preferences, but from what I have read only NAS servers are allowed. Here's the information https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/preferences.html.

You don't need to store originals locally though. Everything is already safely in the cloud. You could also reduce the size of the photo cache, so that fewer previews are saved in the AppData.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems I have screwed it up xD

1. Yesterday

What I have done is I cut out all files from "Users" --> "AppData" --> "Local" --> "Adobe" to my external drive. 

Than I have selected my external drive as my "Storage location for orignals".

At this time Lightroom was still working properly. 

2. Today

Today I wanted to reverse what i have done and copied all my files from the external harddrive back to to "Users" --> "AppData" --> "Local" --> "Adobe".

No I can start Adobe lightroom but I cannot see my pictures, all my albums are gone and lightroom cannot make a connection to the network. 

If I open lightroom on a local device all albums and photos are still there. 

Is there any possibiltiy to correct this again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would contact Adobe Support for help. https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines