Highlighted

How usable is Lightroom Mobile on Android?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've recently migrated over to LR from LR Classic as I really like the cloud based approach to retaining my images. I'm about to embark on a big tour of the US and was hoping to make use of LR  Mobile running on a Galaxy S10 to upload my images as a way of keeping my images safe. I'm having two problems:

1. Connecting my EOS R to the phone to import RAW images appears to be really hit and miss. Sometime it works fine, sometimes it will only show a couple of images, then appear to lock up. I can get it working again by restarting the phone, so this is not too much of a big deal.

2. Once imported, the upload to the cloud frequently appears to get stuck. The only workaround appears to be to uninstall and reinstall the app. After doing this, images I've previously imported onto the phone have disappeared, so I have to re-import from the camera.

Can anybody offer advice as to working out what's wrong? Does anybody use LR mobile on Android successfully like this? I have a macbook I can take with me if needed, but the Lightroom workflow would be great if it works.

I've done some searching on this forum, but not really come across and definitive answers.

Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How usable is Lightroom Mobile on Android?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've recently migrated over to LR from LR Classic as I really like the cloud based approach to retaining my images. I'm about to embark on a big tour of the US and was hoping to make use of LR  Mobile running on a Galaxy S10 to upload my images as a way of keeping my images safe. I'm having two problems:

1. Connecting my EOS R to the phone to import RAW images appears to be really hit and miss. Sometime it works fine, sometimes it will only show a couple of images, then appear to lock up. I can get it working again by restarting the phone, so this is not too much of a big deal.

2. Once imported, the upload to the cloud frequently appears to get stuck. The only workaround appears to be to uninstall and reinstall the app. After doing this, images I've previously imported onto the phone have disappeared, so I have to re-import from the camera.

Can anybody offer advice as to working out what's wrong? Does anybody use LR mobile on Android successfully like this? I have a macbook I can take with me if needed, but the Lightroom workflow would be great if it works.

I've done some searching on this forum, but not really come across and definitive answers.

Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an Android phone so hopefully someone that does will chime in. Depending on where your traveling having  your laptop accessible if needed may be wise. Relying on the internet  while traveling  can add some challenges with uploading images. How much free space do  you have  on your phone?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EOS R files are usually quite large so you will need lots of internal storage initially. If you have periodic access to a web browser e.g. hotel, other accommodation or public library with upload capacity you could import directly into your web app. Sign-in here.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 256 GB memory card in the S10, the plan is to do uploads using hotel WiFi every couple of days from my phone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try adding new files in smaller batches. When sync is complete delete the originals and then only optimized proxies will be stored on the phone. Then start adding the next batch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom mobile workflow is great once you get your images uploaded into Lightroom. Hotel wifi Isn’t always dependable though, and syncing can be slow even with good wifi. I recommend adding images into Lightroom just before you go to bed every night. If the wifi is good all of your images should sync before you get up in the morning. Check to make sure they have synced, then you can delete them from your phone.

Also, while you are traveling use the Lightroom camera app to capture images too. These will automatically upload to the cloud when you connect to wifi. There isn’t anything needed to do to manage them. Lightroom captures raw DNG images so you can get pretty good quality right from your phone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I've tried a few more times, and did mange to sync 75 photos up to the cloud, but to took so many attempts that I can't rely on it as a workflow. I've decided to take my laptop. I had tried small number of photos, but it wasn't reliable even with 3 or 4 images.

Shame really, as if it worked reliably, it would be a terrific workflow for travel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
cmgap LATEST
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree - it can be reliable with an iPhone and a good plan to sync at night while back in the hotel and then delete from the phone. That said having been on location and wanting a sense of security an off-line drive or photo safe is also good idea. There are instances when in remote areas where internet connectivity is an issue and there isn't enough memory on a local device to handle dslr files / videos.

Make sure you have a time machine backup of your laptop before you travel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines