• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I don´t understand how monitor calibration works

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m about to get one of these screen calibration kit. The bundled calibration software will output an ICC profile file right? How can I make Lightroom use this profile?

I did read that Lightroom uses Adobe rgb for the library module and ProPhoto RGB for the develop module. I want the color profile for the monitor to be applied before the adobe rgb or ProPhoto RGB is applied. Or am I getting it wrong?

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are indeed getting it wrong. Color management does not work the way you described. But don't worry about it, Lightroom will automatically use the new monitor profile. There is nothing you need to do.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.

Is images shown correcly in just photo applications. I mean, will photos in windows and web browser be shown like before without the calibration being applied?

And how can I confirm that the calibration is applied in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a color-managed application. It uses the monitor profile, period. There is no special way to confirm that because you do not need to confirm it.

Images will show correctly in every color-managed application. They may not show correctly in non-color managed applications, but that will also be the case if you do not calibrate and profile your monitor.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oki thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on Johan's answer, on windows very few native apps are color managed. You cannot trust the default browser, the photos app, etc to show you the right color. Only color managed apps will show the correct color. Those are things like Photoshop, Lightroom, and others. Firefox when the secret setting is enabled will color manage but internet explorer and Edge don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oki thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines