Highlighted

Import 500GB of photos for the first time

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lightroom CC community,

I would be very grateful for your expertise. I've just enrolled in the 1TB Lightroom CC programme in order to both upload and work with my collection of photos dating back 20 years. It's 500GB and subdivided into folders by year and then subdivided into trips, etc. I contacted Adobe Chat but they couldn't help other than suggest I upload the whole lot in one go. It crashed after only 650 images. As I have 60,000 I was somewhat alarmed. Do any of you have experience about how to do this?

Best wishes,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import 500GB of photos for the first time

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lightroom CC community,

I would be very grateful for your expertise. I've just enrolled in the 1TB Lightroom CC programme in order to both upload and work with my collection of photos dating back 20 years. It's 500GB and subdivided into folders by year and then subdivided into trips, etc. I contacted Adobe Chat but they couldn't help other than suggest I upload the whole lot in one go. It crashed after only 650 images. As I have 60,000 I was somewhat alarmed. Do any of you have experience about how to do this?

Best wishes,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the crash message?

When you re-open "Lightroom CC", how many images does All Photos tell you that it has?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images are organized neetly by folders then you definitely don’t want to upload the whole batch at one time. That was bad advice. Lightroom CC does not have a folder structure. The structure you created with folders on your hard drives will be lost if you upload it that way. You should create albums in Lightroom first, then upload your folders to the albums. This will be tedious but you will be happy you did it that way in the end.

Learn how to organize your photos in Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
selondon LATEST
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, on import Lightroom Desktop (Cloud) will make a local copy before uploading to the Cloud.

So, uploading in chunks per Folder/Album as Theresa suggested is a good idea to avoid maxing out on disk space. (Once synced to the Cloud, the application self manages the space locally dependant on settings in Preferences).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines