• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import RAW from Apple Photos into Lightroom CC on desktop

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CC subscription plan and Lightroom CC on a MacBook Pro and iPhone 8.

I have RAW+JPG files stored in Apple Photos and synced across devices. 

When importing photos in Lightroom CC from Apple Photos on iOS it correctly identifies the paired images with RAW files and imports the RAW for editing in LR, and this RAW is also synced to desktop LR CC. 

Bizarrely though, if I try to import the same image in LR CC from Apple Photos on desktop/Macbook it cannot 'see' the RAW version and only imports JPG...

I can't find a setting in either preferences that would help.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I need to add my SD card with RAW pics to the iPhone Apple Photos app. Then open LR mobile and import and let LR sync to LR mobile.

For me, being on the road, it's a perfect workflow. BUT: I would like, as you, being able to import files into LR desktop from Apple Photos desktop. Maybe a question for Apple? None of the other apps i tried (Luminar, ON1, Capture One, ..) could access the Apple Photos library directly and import the raw file.

It seems strange that this is only possible via mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the problem on the desktop/macbook is that the raw files are actually in Apple's iCloud, not on your local drive. I would try downloading the files from iCloud to a drive before importing them into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I transferred my entire 100,000+ photo library from Apple Photos to Lightroom CC. Many of them were JPEG+RAW pairs. The conversion process only picked up the JPEG versions of the files. What is really needed is for Lightroom CC to support automatically importing and combining JPEG+RAW pairs in the Lightroom CC library. And ideally, to provide a choice of whether to choose the JPEG, or RAW, or both versions when converting. I really wanted to have the RAW versions syncing in Lightroom CC, so I had to manually delete all the JPEG's it had imported and replace them with the RAW versions, which took many hours. This is something I shouldn't have to do. In cases where one does not want to exceed the 1TB storage limit in the cloud, however, especially when working with high megapixel cameras, I can understand wanting to only import the JPEG versions. But please provide the choice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strange thing is that on mobile it works. Opening LR CC mobile gives directe access to Apple Photos mobile and allows to import into CC - the result is RAW and its indicated on the photo in CC. I have not tried what happens with JPEG/RAW pairs.

I think as more and more people seem to go the mobile way and cannot go around Apple Photos (as its the forced import location on mobile), a better integration with Apple Photos library also on Desktop would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. One thing that I've found to work is moving the photos I want to edit from Apple's Photos app to somewhere else on my computer (desktop, documents, etc). When I try to import the pictures from there, they are successfully put into Lightroom as .CR2 files (the Canon RAW file type). So I guess what we have to do is move the pictures to a different place in the computer and THEN import them. It's kind of annoying to have to take that extra step but in my opinion it's worth the extra step to be able to edit my RAW files instead of JPEGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Adobe Lightroom, I talked to the tech support, Apple does not permit transfer of files from Photo Library into Lightroom due to Lightroom being a third party app, Thus Adobe is not responsible for this problem but Apple. I talked to Apple and the third party app. is correct and when it comes to the conversion they are clueless - I spoke to three different techs. If I could put my RAW photos ANYWHERE without them changing the format I would be happy. Any solutions amywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... any updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines