• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad user-Export to camera roll?

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my iPad air to edit and export my photos. If I export to camera roll does it save the quality of my image if my export settings are at 100% image quality? I noticed when saving the raw picture to my files the picture is 5.6 mb. Is it not recommended to export the file using an iPad? Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Yes it does preserve the image quality. What's the problem with the file-size being "only" 5.6mb? I assume you are exporting to Jpeg, yes? Jpeg is a lossy-compression format, meaning the image data from the original raw file will always be compressed, so a significant reduction in image size is always anticipated. Using 100% quality means use the least amout of compression, but generally speaking you should be able reduce the quality setting as low as 60-70% without any observable reduction in i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does preserve the image quality. What's the problem with the file-size being "only" 5.6mb? I assume you are exporting to Jpeg, yes? Jpeg is a lossy-compression format, meaning the image data from the original raw file will always be compressed, so a significant reduction in image size is always anticipated. Using 100% quality means use the least amout of compression, but generally speaking you should be able reduce the quality setting as low as 60-70% without any observable reduction in image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I am a newbie and I was watching a youtube video where they stated the image should be 9-10 mb. I am happy to hear I can continue to use my iPad to export files. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the resulting file will depend on the size of the image, then the quality setting, and then the actual image content. That last item is because compression will be a lot more efficient on areas of similarity (e.g. lots of blue sky) and less efficient on areas of fine detail. Those differencies can have significant impact of the resulting file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes a lot more sense! How do you prefer to share photos with clients/friends/family?

Do you provide them with the LR link or export into dropbox/google drive/etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm only a hobbyist, so I don't have clients. I do share albums with family and friends though, that's now exclusively using the album cloud sharing capability. I've been doing that ever since the function became available many years ago, and as a result I very rarely need to do exports these days. I love the fact that the family/friends are always viewing the current edited images with no action needed on my part.

It's still not perfect, there are a few things I'd like to see improved but it has continued to evolve over time, so I'm hopeful we'll continue to see more improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines