• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jpeg altered after import/export from cloud ?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For many years I like that Lightroom never modifies original file. So I want to check if this "philosophy" is preserved with the Cloud.

I have an "original.jpg" file, I import it using Lightroom CC into the Cloud, and export as "modified.jpg" using option "Original+parameters".

And run a checksum on both files:

PS C:\Users\grego\Downloads> Get-FileHash @(".\original.jpg", ".\modified.jpg")

Algorithm       Hash                                                                   Path

---------       ----                                                                   ----

SHA256          00BB5163317F724755D43C0228AA24C9EE0B2A3B7BDC263AFFDE2CEB178FA039       C:\Users\grego\Downloads\original.jpg

SHA256          64D01CB53F9EC33D9FD2BB97D1ABEC25344D336982BFA92F41038B68376445A0       C:\Users\grego\Downloads\modified.jpg

PS C:\Users\grego\Downloads> dir @(".\original.jpg", ".\modified.jpg")

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name

----                -------------         ------ ----

-a----       23/03/2013     17:19       30324772 original.jpg

-a----       28/04/2019     09:20       30332545 modified.jpg

Modified file is a little bit bigger than original, and I don't see any visible difference. So I suspect it only adds meta. But original file is LOST.

Same test with RAW files don't show any difference. GOOD, I am happy.

So my question is simple : Is there an option somewhere to preserve file integrity using the Adobe Cloud ?

Regards,

Grégoire.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a JPEG with settings (i.e. Original + Settings) then you get a copy of the original unedited photo with the edit adjustments embedded as metadata. Unless it's opened into an application that understands the embedded adjustments (i.e. Camera Raw or a version of Lightroom), the photo will be visually identical to the original unedited photo

> So my question is simple : Is there an option somewhere to preserve file integrity using the Adobe Cloud ?

In 'strict' terms - No!

Whether it be an unedited or edited version, the photo on the cloud is a copy of the original and the version saved from Lightroom is another copy. The file creation date of each copy, as distinct from the date on which the original captured, will differ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By definition you cannot avoid lightroom touching your files if you use the cloud version. It always copies the file over to the cloud and when exporting to originals, it always writes the settings in the metadata. Only in Lightroom Classic can you avoid it from modifying your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines