Highlighted

Keyword search seems to know my address

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac 10.14.3; LR 2.2; Build 20190204-1600-e7ae188.

I am new to LR and am starting by experimenting with keywords.  I have a concern about something that I found.  I imported several photos to experiment with and a few of them are of my home.  I entered the address in the location fields (on the info section) for each of the photos and entered a keyword of “home” (without the quotes) in them.  Of course, when I searched on the keyword “home” I got only those photos. Then I removed the keyword from the photos and, after the circular arrow on each completed (I assume this indicates that the photo is being synched with the cloud), I searched again with the keyword “home” and the photos still came back.

So, I imported another house photo and entered my address in the location fields, but did not enter a keyword of “home”.  After the synching completed, another search of “home” returned this photo as well.  There is no GPS information in any of the files and the names of the files do not contain the word “home” although they do contain the word “house” in them.

As another step, I imported another house photo (which does have the word “house” in the filename) and searched again with “home” as the keyword.  It did not return the latest photo.

Any ideas about why the search with the keyword “home” returned the photos?  I can’t find any place where my address would be in LR, although I am sure that Adobe has it somewhere (but not in my profile in a place I could find).

Lightroom CC is using Adobe Sensei in addition to your own keywords. So if you type sail boats, mountains, beach, water, house, home or other generic terms, images with those subjects will be found.

https://www.adobe.com/sensei.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keyword search seems to know my address

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac 10.14.3; LR 2.2; Build 20190204-1600-e7ae188.

I am new to LR and am starting by experimenting with keywords.  I have a concern about something that I found.  I imported several photos to experiment with and a few of them are of my home.  I entered the address in the location fields (on the info section) for each of the photos and entered a keyword of “home” (without the quotes) in them.  Of course, when I searched on the keyword “home” I got only those photos. Then I removed the keyword from the photos and, after the circular arrow on each completed (I assume this indicates that the photo is being synched with the cloud), I searched again with the keyword “home” and the photos still came back.

So, I imported another house photo and entered my address in the location fields, but did not enter a keyword of “home”.  After the synching completed, another search of “home” returned this photo as well.  There is no GPS information in any of the files and the names of the files do not contain the word “home” although they do contain the word “house” in them.

As another step, I imported another house photo (which does have the word “house” in the filename) and searched again with “home” as the keyword.  It did not return the latest photo.

Any ideas about why the search with the keyword “home” returned the photos?  I can’t find any place where my address would be in LR, although I am sure that Adobe has it somewhere (but not in my profile in a place I could find).

Lightroom CC is using Adobe Sensei in addition to your own keywords. So if you type sail boats, mountains, beach, water, house, home or other generic terms, images with those subjects will be found.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, 99jon.  I decided to not allow Sensei (why would you name an AI feature with the Japanese word for teacher when it is not teaching, but instead making nonoverridable decisions for me?) when these decisions could change without warning and disrupt my tagging strategy; fortunately it can be done.  Then I deleted the test photos and reimported them and the search function worked as expected.  BTW, when Sensei was enabled, it decided that an office building was a home, so you solved that problem as well - two for one!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon further review, you cannot turn this off in LR CC (not classic) with the latest build.  Adobe support says it is on all the time with no way to turn it off and if I don't want this feature, I should consider LR classic.  Not to be too negative, but this does not work all that well since it identified an office building as a home, which makes this specific keyword useless (as well as all the others that the AI function decides to identify).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
99jon LATEST
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, LR Classic uses a catalog stored on your computer. In contrast LRCC stores files, edit settings, metadata, people data and a machine learning database on the server. AI is not perfect but I generally find it produces helpful results.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines