Highlighted

Lightroom 5.5 problems opening CR2 and jpeg files

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new computer with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and it has LR 5.5 installed. I can see many of my jpeg photos taken over the years including some latey saved as CR2, on my camera (Canon EOS 77D). There are a lot of these I cannot open or edit in LR 5.5. When I try opening the photos they do not show under the "Supported Files" and if I change this to "All files" they do show, but does not open them and gives me a message like restart the program, which I do, but it still does nothing. I can edit some of the photos that I can open. Is there some partticular editing software that I can download and use that will allow me to change the file format so that I can open & edit all the photos I have, CR2 and jpeg, in LR 5.5. 

I do see all these files in the program Photo.

Or am I wasting my time as this I belive is a legacy program.

Thanking you for any comments.

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 5.5 problems opening CR2 and jpeg files

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new computer with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and it has LR 5.5 installed. I can see many of my jpeg photos taken over the years including some latey saved as CR2, on my camera (Canon EOS 77D). There are a lot of these I cannot open or edit in LR 5.5. When I try opening the photos they do not show under the "Supported Files" and if I change this to "All files" they do show, but does not open them and gives me a message like restart the program, which I do, but it still does nothing. I can edit some of the photos that I can open. Is there some partticular editing software that I can download and use that will allow me to change the file format so that I can open & edit all the photos I have, CR2 and jpeg, in LR 5.5. 

I do see all these files in the program Photo.

Or am I wasting my time as this I belive is a legacy program.

Thanking you for any comments.

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 28, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the published list of supported cameras, that camera was not supported for raw files until Lightroom 6.10 or 2015.10, long past Lightroom 5.5. If you want to continue using that version of Lightroom then you could download the free DNG converter from Adobe and use it to create digital negative (DNG) copies of your CR2 files. Then those DNG files could be opened in the Lightroom 5.5 that you are using. There are options to set in the DNG converter. If you choose to go that route, make sure you check the options and choose a conversion option that is compatible with your version of Lightroom.

In case you're interested, the DNG converter can be downloaded from this link:

Download Adobe DNG converter 

And here is a brief tutorial on how to use the DNG converter:

DNG converter tutorial 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much I will try that. Appreciated.

Regards
Stephen Allenberg, P.Eng.
289-969-6402

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2019 0