Highlighted

Lightroom 5 Corrupted Images - How to Identify Source and Approach to Take.

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be very grateful of any help, advice and approach that anyone can offer please. Thank you in advance and apologies for the long post but trying to provide enough information.

I am still using the old Lightroom 5 and everything has been working well except for a few usual crashes and specifically when editing using the HSL section, switching between luminance and saturation, with the  ‘Lightroom Unexpectedly Quit’ notification. There was also a power outage a few weeks ago while I was using LR.

Over the past few days, I have noticed some files are now corrupted.

Lightroom 5 is installed on my MacBook Air and the images/catalogue (?) stored on a WD My Passport for Mac external drive.

A few years ago I had a faulty card reader which corrupted some files during import and initially I thought when scrolling through my images that these were those old corrupted files but then realised that there are new corrupted files. (To claify, these images have been sitting in Lightroom for years with no corruption). 

At this point, until I research and find more information from your experience and advice, I am too nervous to plug the external hard drive in and take a further look in case I do more damage.

I have approximately 42,000 images sitting on the hard drive. The only back ups I have is on the original memory cards which are not with me at this time. The external drive is old and could be the problem or part of it.

I have read about an application called ‘Stellar", to fix corrupted files. Not sure whether I should transfer the files/catalogue over to a new WD My Passport external drive first or am I simply copying the problem over to another HD? 

Obviously I want to take the safest route but at the moment frozen in fear of losing my collection of images and not sure what step to take first.

Could you offer some advice please on which approach I should take and in which order?

Thank you in advance.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom 5 Corrupted Images - How to Identify Source and Approach to Take.

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be very grateful of any help, advice and approach that anyone can offer please. Thank you in advance and apologies for the long post but trying to provide enough information.

I am still using the old Lightroom 5 and everything has been working well except for a few usual crashes and specifically when editing using the HSL section, switching between luminance and saturation, with the  ‘Lightroom Unexpectedly Quit’ notification. There was also a power outage a few weeks ago while I was using LR.

Over the past few days, I have noticed some files are now corrupted.

Lightroom 5 is installed on my MacBook Air and the images/catalogue (?) stored on a WD My Passport for Mac external drive.

A few years ago I had a faulty card reader which corrupted some files during import and initially I thought when scrolling through my images that these were those old corrupted files but then realised that there are new corrupted files. (To claify, these images have been sitting in Lightroom for years with no corruption). 

At this point, until I research and find more information from your experience and advice, I am too nervous to plug the external hard drive in and take a further look in case I do more damage.

I have approximately 42,000 images sitting on the hard drive. The only back ups I have is on the original memory cards which are not with me at this time. The external drive is old and could be the problem or part of it.

I have read about an application called ‘Stellar", to fix corrupted files. Not sure whether I should transfer the files/catalogue over to a new WD My Passport external drive first or am I simply copying the problem over to another HD? 

Obviously I want to take the safest route but at the moment frozen in fear of losing my collection of images and not sure what step to take first.

Could you offer some advice please on which approach I should take and in which order?

Thank you in advance.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0

Have something to add?