• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have LR5 on a windows 7 machine, and just got a D850.  So my OS is losing support in January, and I just lost RAW support for my photo editing by going to the D850.

I found some DVD copies of LR 6.5 on ebay.  If I buy this, can I install the software on a new windows 10 machine and then upgrade from LR 6.5 to 6.13 or 6.14 so I have RAW support?

I have zero interest in paying $10 per month forever.  If I can't get RAW support with standalone software, I'll look for a non-Adobe alternative.  But I figure that you guys are the experts and adobe doesn't list a customer service number for lightroom as far as I can tell...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, the only DVD copies of Lightroom 6 that were distributed were version 6.0. Any updates from that were downloaded from the Internet. However, the final update, 6.14, is downloadable from Adobe. Just make sure that the seller includes the serial number. And, be aware that there won't be many tutorials available for it. Most of the tutorials now are for more advanced versions. And there is no support from Adobe.

You might think you are getting a good deal, but in fact you are buying a dead horse. Your operating system is a dead horse as well. But I hope things work out well for you. They will for a while, but things will catch up with you eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jim. 

I understand that the OS is DOA.  That's why I'm buying a new windows 10 machine. 

I have been running LR5 up til now with no issues.  I just don't post-process much, and the only reason I'm upgrading is that my D850 raw files won't import into LR5.  I've taken around 80k-100k pictures over the last 5 years since I bought LR5, and maybe only post-processed a few hundred inside LR5.  I use Nikon's in-camera NEF processing feature for most of my editing and only edit on a computer if there are some major issues in an otherwise nice picture that I'm going to print.  So even if it's a dead horse, it will probably do what I need to for another 5-7 years.  In that time, I'd be $600-$850 in the hole on LR/PS CC (assuming they don't raise the price) and still wouldn't have any software long term.  Or I could go with DXO PL3 for $99, but I'd rather stick with LR if they'll let me use the serial number on a 6.14 download. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered using Adobe's free DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your NEF files? Those DNG files could then be imported into Lightroom 5. The DNG converter could be used as your downloading mechanism to download the files from the camera. Conversion takes place during the transfer from the camera. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had not heard of the DNG converter or even DNG files.  What is the difference between DNG/JPG/RAW?  Does DNG retain the details from RAW that are lost when converting to JPG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG is a container developed by Adobe which "standardizes" the raw format. Adobe has provided a DNG converter which will take the raw image data from the proprietary raw format and put it in a DNG container file that is more standardized, and can be utilized in a wider variety of Adobe programs. Some users shy away from using it because they consider it an extra step in the processing. However, in your situation that conversion process could be done by using the DNG converter as your download software to convert the images to DNG during the download process from the card. It works very smoothly, and you have all the original raw data in a new DNG (Digital negative) file container that Lightroom 5.7 can then open and process. It's up to you whether or not you go that route. It's only a suggestion that I thought you might like to consider. Here are a couple of links that you might like to watch:

How to use the DNG converter 

Information about the DNG format 

Link to the download if you are interested 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  There are a couple upgrades I've heard of in LR6 that could be useful, so I could potentially go this route even if I can get LR 6.5 but not LR 6.14.

Really appreciate your time and help Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. Like I said, I suspect that the DVD version you will be purchasing is going to be Lightroom 6.0. I don't think Adobe released anything but that on disk. Then it will be necessary for you to download the 6.14  update and install it. I hope everything goes well for you.

The original owner may have followed the updates through 6.5 by downloading them, but I'm pretty sure the DVD only installed 6.0.

Also, what features are you expecting to add? Some of the features that were added to Lightroom CC2015 were not added to Lightroom 6. For instance, the one tool that many Lightroom 6 users expected but didn't get was the dehaze adjustment. There are some add-ons that were available at one time, but I don't know if they still are. Haven't kept track because I haven't needed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought 6 had a de-haze?  That was one of the main features I was upgrading for....

Honestly the $10/month is just never going to happen.  If LR6 is that small of an upgrade over LR5, then I'll just go to DXO PL3.  I was leaning towards staying with LR due to the DNG converter (meaning that the LR 6.0 or 6.5 or 6.14 differences were mostly insignificant) and due to the large support base to help me learn how to use it more effectively.  But if all I'm really buying is an unsupported version of LR with D850 compatibility, then I might as well just switch to a company whose business model I agree with.  

As a customer for 5 years, this is really disappointing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dehaze filter as provided by Adobe is NOT part of Lightroom 6. There was an add-on that was available from a third-party that provided that feature. I don't know if it is still available, and I don't have a link to it. A lot of the features that make Lightroom Classic what it is today were added after Lightroom 6 became obsolete. So you are going to have to make your own choice. Lightroom 6 is at the end of its road. No updates, no support from Adobe. And if you have planted your heels and are not going to subscribe to get the current version then the field is wide open to choose what you want. I know I cannot persuade you, so I won't try. Good luck in your pursuit for suitable software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just read the conversation.

Lightroom 6 is not available to buy from Adobe- a known fact.

If you buy a DVD from anyone else (eBay) then the Licence MUST be transfered as detailed here-

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/transfer-product-license.html

Without a correct Transfer of Licence- a provided Serial Number will not work. Activation of Lr6 would not be possible.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines