• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom adjustments in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making adjustments in a photograph in Lightroom, editing it in Photoshop with layers, and saving the image in photoshop I find that when I reopen the file again the Lightroom adjustments are missing. If I open the file via Lightroom, the layers no longer appear in Photoshop. When Photoshop saves the photo, does it not also incorporate the Lightroom adjustments?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you send a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop, you will get a PSD or TIFF file with the Lightroom edits 'baked in'. That is what you further edit in Photoshop. When this file comes back into Lightroom, you will not see any edits (all the sliders will be at zero) but the effect of the edits is baked into the file.

When you send this file again to Photoshop and you want to preserve the layers, you need to choose the 'Edit Original' option, not one of the other two options. The other two options cause Lightroom to create a new copy, and because Lightroom does not support layers this will be a flattened copy.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I have edited the file in Lightroom Classic 9, e.g., adjusting exposure, contrast, blacks, clarity, texture, etc. Then I exported with edits to Photoshop, where I saved the file, and added a duplicate layer, essentially to remove dust from the original, cropped the layer, and saved. This morning when I opened the file with Photoshop, I noticed that the image did not have the same darkness of the original; the Lightroom adjustments were missing. Then if I export the new file from Lightroom, the Lightroom adjustments are there, but the second layer is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What do you mean exactly with 'the file'? The original raw file? A tiff/psd file? Please describe step by step what you did. As I explained, sending a layered tiff/psd form Lightroom to Photoshop will create a flattened copy, unless you use 'Edit Original'. If you use 'Export' rather than 'Edit in', then you will always lose the layers. Lightroom cannot export a layered file.

If you use 'Edit Original' however, then you will not see any of the Lightroom edits you made on this file in Photoshop (because Lightroom edits are non-destructive and are stored in the catalog, not applied to the image). But when the file returns from Photoshop, you should see the Lightroom edits again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines