Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalogue screwup on external drive

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I have my photograph files (CR2s and JPGs) as well as my Lightroom catalogue on an external USB flash drive.

For a reason too longwinded to post here, I needed to change the name of the external USB drive from "Photographs" to "Seagate." As soon as I did this, I realized that Lightroom could not find my photos. Foolishly, I tried to fix the problemm by reverting the external drive back to "Photographs."

Now Lightroom does not seem to know most of my photos exist, Usually if a folder is missing, there is a little question mark beside the folder name. In my case, the folder names are not even listed in Lightroom. It's like they don't exist. If I look at the external drive, I can see that all the photos etc are still there. How can I get Lightroom to recognize them?

Also, for the future, what is a better way to rename an external drive so Lightroom does not get confused?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"the folder names are not even listed in Lightroom"

Most likely is that you accidently started a new (empty) Catalog.

On the Lr top menu- choose FILE > OPEN RECENT...  and look for other Catalogs, one of which might be your catalog with the 'missing' folders.

Or- use your OS file browser to find all .LRCAT  Catalog files and open each to find the one with data.

Or- Restore a recent Backup Catalog from its zip folder that may have the data.

When you find your missing Catalog, then you can relink the folders in Lr (with a ? ) with the folders on the external drive (whatever its name!). Start at the very 'Topmost' folder shown in the folder panel.

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines