Highlighted

Lightroom CC and Classic double local originals

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been stuck for some time, and it's time to seek for a help 🙂

I wanted to move to the CC, being able to edit my images on my iPad and having all my files instantly synced accross all my devices. However, as a long time Lightroom Classic user, I miss many features, so I though, it would be great if I can use the same library stored in the cloud to edit photos in Classic when I'm on my computer. Hovewer, I faced some storage issues, having both my catalogues storing originals and doubling the required space. Ideally, I'd like to keep originals in the cloud and in one of the catalogs, while another keeps only the smart previews.

This is what I did:

1. I have migrated my entire library to the Lightroom CC.
  2. I deleted my Classic Catalogue and raw files from HDD (I have backup on the external drive, just in case).
  3. I created new Classic Catalogue and turned on sync.
  4. Both CC Library and Classic Catelog store originals on my HDD, even though I checked the option in CC to store the copy of all smart previews locally.
  5. I tried checking and unchecking smart preview option, restarting Lightroom CC, but it didn't change. The CC Library size remains the same no matter what.

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom CC and Classic double local originals

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been stuck for some time, and it's time to seek for a help 🙂

I wanted to move to the CC, being able to edit my images on my iPad and having all my files instantly synced accross all my devices. However, as a long time Lightroom Classic user, I miss many features, so I though, it would be great if I can use the same library stored in the cloud to edit photos in Classic when I'm on my computer. Hovewer, I faced some storage issues, having both my catalogues storing originals and doubling the required space. Ideally, I'd like to keep originals in the cloud and in one of the catalogs, while another keeps only the smart previews.

This is what I did:

1. I have migrated my entire library to the Lightroom CC.
  2. I deleted my Classic Catalogue and raw files from HDD (I have backup on the external drive, just in case).
  3. I created new Classic Catalogue and turned on sync.
  4. Both CC Library and Classic Catelog store originals on my HDD, even though I checked the option in CC to store the copy of all smart previews locally.
  5. I tried checking and unchecking smart preview option, restarting Lightroom CC, but it didn't change. The CC Library size remains the same no matter what.

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2019 0
s_igor LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ignore, or delete this post. My OS was showing the CC Library size before I turned on just to sync smart previews for hours. I had to force it to recalculate size and now it's 1/20 of the size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 0