• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Catalog - manual backup

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I managed to completly backup my catalog from one pc to another, the problem is that it breaks sync. if you navigate to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\<32-digit-GUID> you will find the folder list below. Those folders backup the RAW files and their edits, including star rating and Keep/Discard tags. 

- <originals>

- <XMP>

- <previews>

- <settings>

- Managed Catalog.mcat

- Managed Catalog.mru

- Managed Catalog.wfindex

- Managed Catalog.wfindex-shm

- Managed Catalog.wfindex-wal

HOWEVER, if you have a different username from one machine to another it will break SYNC, and the 32-digit GUID is different. A simple text editor to rename the text in the files didn't help the problem when i tried renaming the GUID and username.

Adobe since we're so close to being able to back-up our catalog locally can you just give us a break and make a tool to do the migration or at least add in a fix in Lightroom to detect and fix the catalog files for sync to work after the move and the catalog to stay in place? If anyone knows a way to edit the files let me know I will keep working on a community based solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those folders are managed dynamically so you would never have a complete back up. For example after a short period, originals are purged and replaced with proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why jump through hoops trying to "migrate" the local library from one system to another. Simply start the Lightroom app on the second system, login to the same Adobe account, and Lightroom will build the local library from scratch. The local libraries, and the catalogs they contain, are a smaller part of what's stored in the cloud. So switch to another system, Lightroom will build it from the cloud "master", if you have a local drive failure and lose the local library then no big deal, Lightroom will rebuild it again from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something in your original statement that concerns me. Among the items that are backed up, you indicate that the raw files are included in the backup. I just want to point out that in a standard Lightroom backup the images are NOT part of the backup process. If you want your images backed up then you need to devise your own routine for that using other software because image backup is not part of the Lightroom backup process. The images are not in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@99jon

If the originals get purged then wouldn't we be losing that original data within the images? If it is a proxy it should still retain the original data within the RAW that was imported otherwise maybe I'm using the wrong application to manage photos non-destructivly. 

@jim_wilde

So the reason I'm going through it all is because I need to migrate my catalog from one account to another. There is no straight forward way to do that without exporting everything and starting over and rebuilding it manually 

@jimhess

There is a setting in the application to save local copies of the originals and this is why they are stored there. 

My process is to choose the files to keep, import to lightroom, it handles the main library by copying the originals to the folder I specified above and then I can delete the photos that don't make the cut. Thereby keeping only the photos I want to save and retain for future edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and as to why I'm migrating from one account to another. Account A was created for work, new account B for personal, and hence I now must migrate to the personal account. 

Maybe there is a simple way to do that but when I contacted Adobe support they said No there is no way to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't understand you were trying to switch to a different Adobe account (I inferred "username" to be the name related to your computer, not to Adobe). In which case, Adobe are correct....there is no easy way to switch from one account to another. Basically you have to download everything from account A, then import it to account B and wait for it to upload again. If you export all existing cloud files using "Original + Settings" you will retain all the edits and other metadata that you've made when you re-import to the new account. You will lose all the album organisation, as that's not saved to XMP when you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jim_wilde thanks for the clarificartion. Hopefully I can find a method to not have to recreate everything from scratch. As much as i love the cloud solution, I would still like the option to backup local copies of everything, the cloud subscription ties users into not being able to easily migrate to new platforms if one wanted to do so. I guess my case is just to unique and isolated where moveing from one account to another is something that will not be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the originals get purged then wouldn't we be losing that original data within the images? If it is a proxy it should still retain the original data within the RAW that was imported otherwise maybe I'm using the wrong application to manage photos non-destructivly. 

No. That is how the cloud version of Lightroom is designed. In fact once cloud sync is complete I often delete everything in the originals folder manually to free up space. Your non-destructive raw editing is always stored in the cloud with your originals. Space management is automatically optimized on computer hard drives and on mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, I like your method of organization. I am a bit old fashinoned I guess where I want to make sure to also have a local copy of my files and not rely on a paid cloud solution to solely backup those photos for me. I guess I am more akin to the dropbox method of files being on the cloud but ALSO on my local machine, I can manage, move, backup those files as well. 

I do feel like my request would be very simple for adobe to implement though and could cover both user bases of Lightroom CC and Lightroom classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines