Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC - Importing Best Practices

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I recently purchased a subscription to Lightroom CC (cloud). I have read a few forums and one ( https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2399038​​ ) asked a question that I am also a little confused about. I don't have millions of photos yet but I want to make sure I start my organization and workflow the right way at the beginning! I have imported a few photos to test how the importing and organization work on my computer and other devices.

Original photos are stored on a camera SD card

All settings are factory; I don't have the checkbox selected to save a copy of all originals (see pic below)

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 2.37.50 PM.png

At this point LR has uploaded those photos to the Cloud, and it has created unedited "originals" on my computer at the location defaulted to ".lrlibrary". Unpackaged, it shows the unedited photos in this folder with the long string of letters (c26f9e69ef...).

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 3.50.18 PM.png

I've noticed these photos are the same size as the original ones as if I had saved them straight to my computer from the SD card. If I delete a photo from this location in the .lrlibrary > originals folder, it does not remove them from the lightroom app. However, if I remove a photo from the LR desktop or mobile app, it does remove the photo from the .lrlibrary > originals folder.

Assumption: I don't need the original file saved to my computer, and after I edit in LR I'll manually save down all images to some folder on my computer/external drive. If I really want the original images, I would save them to my computer, but delete after saving down the edited files from LR to save space.

My best practice would be to upload straight to LR (therefore saving the original unedited file in the .lrlibrary, and saving the always-updated edited photo in the cloud). And after I sort through the keeps and rejects, and after editing, I'll save the photos down to my laptop in some organized folder. That way I don't have 2 copies of the original unedited image, and I have 1 copy of the final edited photo in the cloud and 1 on my computer. I'm assuming that if LR deleted this c26f9e69ef... folder in .lrlibrary, I would lose my original unedited photos that were originally imported to LR.

I'm very new to this and just want to do it in the best way to optimize storage. Please provide thoughts or helpful recommendations!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default cache is managed dynamically. So in time originals drop out automatically. Your masters and edit settings are stored in the cloud with appropriate sized previews sent to phones/tablets. If you want to free up space on you mac more quickly you could delete completely the 2018 and 2019 folders in Originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comment! Would your suggestion not also remove the previews? I'm assuming not, since there's a folder called "previews" in that .lrlibrary package on my computer...

So, you're saying I could pull the original images from my SD card to my computer, then upload to lightroom, and periodically delete the "originals" contents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct. Previews will not be affected. Just ensure Lightroom shows everything is sync'd and backed up before deleting originals. Click the cloud icon - top right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines