Lightroom CC sync very slow

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read a number of posts here about the sync in lightroom cc being very slow, but I don't think I've read a solution or an answer as to why this is happening.  my content is syncing much, much more slowly than the network resources would indicate in task manager.  Has anyone found a solution?

Topics

Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add my experience here as well:

I have a business DSL line here that gives me over 100MB/s download and up to 37MB/s upload speed.

Naturally one never reaches these speed in real live but as I am running a fileserver from my office I know that I can get easily 70MB/s down and about 30MB/s upload speed from here.

I once tried to use the sync function and gave up as it was unbearably slow. That was two years ago. By now I hoped that Adobe has done their homework but it doesn't seem like it.

I shoot fashion catalogue for a living and produce large numbers of files a day. The idea that I could edit/cull whilst my digital operator still works on other tasks in Lightroom Classic sounded great.

Long story short: July 2019 and the sync function is completely unusable (at least on a professional level).

I ran multiple tests by now and got at best 4MB/s download speed and 520KB/s upload speed form my system. That is about 5% of the possible bandwith for download and less than 1,5% of the possible upload speed.

Naturally I contacted Adobe customer service as I am paying a rather expensive subscription plan.

Their answer: This is generally a problem of router settings or internet problems, nothing they can (or want to!) help with.

As pretty much any other internet connection from this computer and this office is able to saturate the bandwith I think it is safe to assume that the fault lies with Adobe.

I used IP tracking software and located the server destination Adobe is using somewhere between Washington and Oregon State in the US. Speed tests running from my location (Berlin/Germany) to the  public server closest to the destination of all the uploaded sync data ,Kennewick Washington, give me about 80MB/s download and a maximum 3.5MB/s upload and an awful Ping of over 170ms.

Screenshot 2019-07-22 18.37.39.png

So clearly the connection from Europe to there is pretty horrible (strangely download speeds are ok) plus Adobe seems to use cheap or bad server architecture that is not designed to handle the data volume required for such a system.

I would love to hear from other users that might have tested the up- and download speeds in other countries. My guess is that the experience will differ, depending on your geographic location.

To me it seems that Adobe is advertising a service and a system that is nowhere near ready for professional use or the company simply is to cheap to invest in the required server and broadband structure needed.

A massive fail for Adobe, and that includes the rather smug and useless customer service.

Would love to hear actually from Adobe. So far I could not find any useful or helpful information in this forum or from Adobe.

And if Adobe is not willing to invest in the technology necessary to make sync a useful feature: Just terminate it or even better - consider making local sync to servers of the users choice an option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I had the same problem with crazy long sync time.  I was trying to sync a catalog I have been sitting on for years with 50k+ images and many videos tossed in for good measure.  I'm not a professional photographer, just an enthusiast who started using LR several years ago as an alternative to Photos and after MUCH confusion about what the heck LR CC was all about (I'm a classic user.... and I will echo the masses who say that Adobe seriously botched that roll-out)  I thought I would try to sync and incorporate LR CC into my work flow.  A few weeks ago I tried once to sync and gave up because of the unbearably slow sync time.  It slowed everything down so much it rendered LR Classic useless as it would take up to 20 minutes just to delete a single image while syncing.  Then there were the thousands of virtual copies created by Lightroom CC that utterly confused me but that's a story for a different thread.

About a week ago I decided to hold my nose and just get it over with as (like others) I haven't found a solution to the problem.  After about 4 days I finally got it all synced.  This process included many Lightroom classic quits (and force quits) and computer reboots as the entire system seemed to hang up for hours at a time.  This may not be the ideal way to do it but I was out of patience.  I will say that for me at least there was a light at the end of the tunnel.  After everything was finally synced LR classic came back to life and I could start using it again without issue, and my images are also now accessible via Lightroom CC.  Now that my syncs are much smaller I haven't had a problem with it. 

I guess the point of my post is to let others know that if you have the time and patience to wait it out, it can eventually work for you.  But if you are a professional who can't give up the functionality of Lightroom for 4 days to babysit a large sync I'm not sure it's worth the headache until there's a real solution to the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just jumped on the CC train and spent a ton of time setting up folders/albums (having slacked on that over the past few months in Classic). The sync time is just crawling. I don't think I'll ever get it done. As an example, it has taken 3 hours to get a single image (admittedly, in RAW) synced this morning. I'm really disappointed. Thinking of just scratching the sync altogether, which makes my switch-over completely useless. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First using CC sync speed was good.  several thousand images were synched in short order.  Now the sync goes on forever.  2 days trying to sync 4 images.  But I am using data on my internet plan.  I had 1TB of monthly data and the sync took me to 4TB without me knowing.  Something is amiss and needs to be corrected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all, 

I am experiencing the same slowness in synchronizing. I made 10 photo's on my iphone 8 today, which are saved in the Lightroom app on my phone. When opening lightroom on my desktop it takes more than 3 hours already and non of the photo's have been synced yet, in the mean time an indication is saying the photos are loading. I don't understand why it should take so long. Do you have any idea how to solve this? 

Best regards, 
Ewoud

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've also been having a problem with slow syncing - or even not syncing at all. Right now I'm trying to sync from my laptop to my desktop, and it's just stopped. I've completely emptied my Lightroom CC library so I only have about 100 photos in there, so it's not a storage issue. Total nightmare for workflow. A solution would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Kate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Netherlands based user: I am also experiencing slow upload speeds, I synced the same number of files (~3500 JPEG's + some RAW's: ~45GB) to iCloud, and then to Lightroom. This took some 8 hours for iCloud Drive. After that I uploaded to Lightroom which has only synced about 800/3500 files in 14 hours.We use cable internet which is very stable, I have been using a plethora of cloud services for data transfer (including Lightroom sync back in 2017). It's an apples to apples comparison which indicates to me adobe cloud is doing something wrong here. 

I'm annoyed by the lackluster and unprofessional response by adobe in this thread. 
I suggest you stop laying blame with upload speeds and acknowledge something is not going the way it should, especially for a cloud based product in 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines